Saturday, August 28, 2010

Baby It's Cold Outside!



Well, I hate to say it but I think summer is officially over here.  We had a cold front blow through two days ago and wow, is it cold!  When I took the hounds for a walk last night it was 4 C (about 39 F)!!!  I think my poor basil is a goner.  It's just coming up to 11:00 a.m. now and it is barely 10 C (50 F).  I do love fall but I could have done with just a little bit more summer!  It's not exactly warm here in the house either but I absolutely REFUSE to start the wood stove to warm things up inside in AUGUST!!  I mean really, it's August for Pete's sake, who ever heard of having to light the wood stove in August!  Anyway, can't change the weather so I'll have to deal with it, won't I? :O)

I went to the farmer's market a couple of days ago and got some lovely red, ripe tomatoes.
A friend has a garden full of green tomatoes but with this weather it's hard to say if they will ripen before I leave on holidays after the Labour Day long weekend.  So I bought about 45 lbs. of tomatoes (!!) and will cook up some stewed tomatoes and some salsa on Monday as I have to work this weekend.  The jars have been cleaned and sterilized and are sitting on the dining room table ready to go.
As I said, I will be leaving for a 3 or 4 week camping trip after the Labour Day long weekend.  The length of time I will be away camping will be directly proportional to the temperature gradient!!  Hopefully the weather will improve before we leave and we will have some nice warm weather for a few weeks more.
As I will be away camping, I am going to have to take my ornies for my ornie swap with me as they need to be completed by the middle of October.  My plan is to get the patterns all cut out and sewn up on the sewing machine and then I can take my stuffing and paints, etc. with me to work on them while I am away.
Since I can't show you the ornies I'm working on ('cause you might be in my swap and I don't want to ruin the surprise!) here's a picture of some other projects I've got on the go.
 I've got some wood blocks I'm going to paint up with the letters J~O~Y and some snowman pillar candle holders ready to paint as well.  I'm hoping to get them finished and listed before we leave.  Have a lovely Saturday and happy crafting!
Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art

1 comment:

  1. You are really a busy lady. I kind of envy you your camping trip, ours was ruined by the rain this year and it was the only time we got out in the motorhome. Of course DH will be using it on his hunting trip too... I'm not having much luck getting tomatoes but picked up my dill cukes today so will be very busy with them. Have a wonderful camping trip, hope you get wonderful weather for it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo