Wednesday, August 25, 2010

New Primitive Ezine - Down The Primitive Path


*Edited: I have removed the link to this Ezine as it is now leading to  a SPAM site.*

I've been busy canning here, it's that most wonderful time of the year when all of the hard work done in the garden since spring comes to fruition.  I just put up some garlic dill pickles from cukes I got from a friends garden, can't wait till they are ready to eat!

I'd love to grow my own cucumbers and tomatoes here but the elevation is just too high, I don't get the heat that you need to grow them.  So my friend shares her bumper crop with me which I sure do appreciate, thanks my friend!  Tomatoes are next on the agenda and then I think I will also make some antipasto this year; I always intend to but never seem to get around to it but this year I'm going to make some.  It's a lot of chopping but so worth it in the end, a lovely dollop of antipasto on a crisp cracker tastes so good!  Here is the antipasto recipe that I use; I am sure there are a million variations out there but I do like this one.  Hope you enjoy and it and happy canning!

ANTIPASTO
Makes approximately 18 pint jars
2 heads cauliflower
2 lbs. silver onions or 3 jars sweet pickled onions
2 quarts dill pickles
2 lbs. red peppers
2 lbs. green peppers
2 cans pitted black olives
3 jars stuffed green olives
3 cans sliced mushrooms (or use fresh mushrooms if you prefer)
1 1/2 lbs green and/or yellow beans (or 5 cans)
2 -3 tins flaked tuna
1 tin anchovies, drained (if you don't like anchovies, use 3 cans of tuna)
4 - 20 oz bottles of ketchup (yes, I did say 4 bottles!)
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 1/2 cups oil
Chop all the veggies and pickles into bite sized pieces and put them all into a LARGE pot with the ketchup, vinegar and oil.  Boil this mixture for about 15 - 20 minutes.  Watch it VERY carefully as it will burn easily, stir often to prevent it sticking and burning.  Add more ketchup to this mixture if it starts to look too dry.  Mix in the tuna fish and anchovies if using them and then portion the antipasto into pint sized jars.  Seal the jars and process for 15 minutes.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Fun to find you! Thanks for posting my give away on your side bar!!! And, of course, for being a follower! I'm off to follow you!

    Hugs,

    Kristi
    Punkin Seed Productions

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm - google follow isn't working right now! I'll come back!

    Kristi
    Punkin Seed Productions

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy smokes, we ARE so similar!! LOL I have my dills being delivered this Sat. and they look an aweful lot like yours:) ...Needless to say...your antipasto recipe looks exactly like mine, I can't believe it!! It was my MIL's and I have made it for years. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deb - your pickles look yummy! Thank you for sharing your antipasto recipe, that's something my hubby would LOVE!
    I canned 4 qts of homemade salsa 2 weeks ago and will can some more this week.

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo