Thursday, December 2, 2010

Time Warps and Picniks!


I swear that I am living in a time warp; every time I turn around DAYS have gone by without my seeming to have noticed!  Holy smokers, it's December 2nd already!  Okay, keep calm, breath, you can do this.  Every year it seems to be the same; the holidays somehow sneak up on me and I swear that NEXT YEAR I will be better prepared and more organized.  By all appearances the pattern is about to repeat itself this holiday season and so I will repeat my mantra in the hopes that it might actually come true; "NEXT YEAR I will be more organized"!  Okay, I've got that out of my system, now on to other topics!
I was talking about the candle mat stitcheries I'd been doing.  I did manage to get one finished, it is from a design by Terri Gurney called "Wynter Moon".
As I said I don't usually do stitcheries and I am sure that those of you who do can easily see that!!  I'm sure I went about it all bass ackwards (to coin a phrase!) since I'd never made a candle mat before but I think it turned out pretty cute.  I used white floss for the snowman and snowflakes and as you can see they don't show up real well so I will have to rethink that particular colour choice.  What other colour would you stitch a snowman or snowflakes with though?  Maybe a nice pale blue?  Anyway, I like it and it is sitting in front of the Kim Christmas painting I did with a little glass votive candle holder on it.  Do you like the holly borders and cross stitch lettering on the photo?  I had a hoot at Picnik (the photo editing site: www.picnik.com) playing with their ten million photo editing effects.  Hmmm, perhaps that's why I'm not getting anything done, I think I'm on to something here! We got our satellite internet connection installed and I'm able to get onto sites I could never access before with dial up so I've been going a little crazy the last few days.  Here it is 3:30 in the a.m. and I'm still cruising around the internet, good grief!  Okay, enough is enough, time to call it a night (or a morning?!) and get off this computer and go to bed.  Oh, one more thing before I go, I found a link to a really cute last minute, easy to do Christmas craft at one of my forums, here's the link: www.todaysfabulousfinds.blogspot.com/2010/11/printable-paintstick-ornaments-tutorial.html.  These are so stinkin' cute and easy peasy, maybe I will actually be able to get something completed, what do you think?  Hope you are enjoying the season and not stressing too much, happy crafting!
Deb

6 comments:

  1. OMG I love your candle mat, do you sell them? I have just started making some simple ones. But mine in no way looks as awesome as your. I can only do backstitching and french knots. I would love to learn the blanket stitch. I wish you could show me. he he Could you please send me the site where Terri Gurney sells her patterns. Thanks Lecia
    Lecia123@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb! Your candle mat is great, you did such a good job!! When I do them with white I do everything before the white then coffee stain (or tea) and then go back and do the white with 3 strands to make the colors pop a little more. However...yours shows up really well! Is there NOTHING you can't do well??? Awesome work! And you don't have dial-up any more?? YEAH!!
    I'm with you about Christmas creeping up faster and I have the same plans for the next year..but ...LOL I can't even get motivated to blog right now, too overwhelmed with trying to catch up on everything!!! And I do NOT stay up until the wee hours of the morning like you! LMBO!! :) Keep up the wonderful work!! :) :) Ü

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for the words of encouragement ladies! Lecia, you can find Terri at www.pumpkin-seed-primitives.com. I will send you an email with the info and a link to a couple of on-line embroidery sites for the blanket stitches. I'm not much farther ahead than you, the only one I can do that you can't is the blanket stitch!! I was considering selling the candle mats but after looking at the finished product I'm not so sure now LOL! Nancy, thanks for the tip for the white floss, good idea!! I did tea stain this one but AFTER stitching with the white so I'm sure it would have been much better to stain first and stitch with the white second, duh! I have to say I don't usually stay up till 3:00 a.m. but I was downloading the latest Rusty Tin Roof ezine last night and got lost in the process! Needless to say I'm a little weary this morning. Good luck with your Christmas plans :O) and hey, how did the craft show go? I'm off to email ya to find out! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the candle mat and I also love the borders you put on the photo. I have bookmarked picnik and will enjoy it latter. Meanwhile, back to work . . . I can feel Christmas tippy toeing up behind me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Deb - I'm sorry you haven't gotten your ornie - I can't imagine that she didn't send it. I wonder if it got lost in the mail...I will jot her a note to see if she has any information on it.
    Christmas blessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful Deb, just so sweet and charming! I love litte stitcheries like this but never seem to get around to doing many of them! I like to use pale blue or an offwhite-ish tan or grey, depending on the background. DMC has some lovely pale thread colours that work well when you don't want stark white. It is lovely just as it is though!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo