Sunday, February 20, 2011

Prairie Patch Perfectly Prim Link Party ~ My Favourite Prim Things!


Good evening everyone!  I just received an email from Tracy at The Prairie Patch saying that her first ever Perfectly Prim Link Party is ready to go.  And for her first link party, she wants us all to share our favourite prim things, be it something you've made, bought or received as a gift.  So I'd like to share a couple of my lipped or shoulder stoneware bowls with you.  I bought these at auction years ago and absolutely adore them and I love the story behind the shoulders on the bowls.  Apparently they were made this way so that you could put a piece of muslin or cheesecloth over top of the bowl and then tie it on underneath the shoulder with a piece of twine to keep the critters from getting at your pudding or bread or whatever else you had in your bowl.  My first bowl is huge!  It measures 13" in diameter and weighs a ton.  It's old and it's battered, chipped and crazed but I love it.
 It's not pretty and it's not a collector's piece, way too many chips and dings for that, and it's unmarked so I can't even tell you where it came from but I love to imagine the untold batches of bread dough that were lovingly made inside of it.  If only it could speak, what a story it could tell!

My second stoneware bowl or more properly, stoneware pudding dish is marked and so I know some of it's history.  It's marked 'Macomb Stoneware Co, Macomb ILL'; this pottery burned down in 1913 and was not rebuilt so I know that this lovely shouldered pudding dish is at least 98 years old.
 This bowl measures 11 1/2" in diameter and is in incredible shape given it's age!  It has a small chip on the rim and a star crack in the glazing in the bottom of the bowl and the usual crazing and flea bites but all in all it is in wonderful condition.  I love this old, utilitarian pottery; the beauty of it to me is in it's plain and simple lines and in the beautiful rich colours of the simple glazing over the unpainted clay.  A nostalgic reminder of a simpler and slower time and of the lives of our grandmothers and great-grandmothers before us.  Thanks for taking a look at my prim treasures and I hope you'll click Tracy's button below and head to her blog to see what primitive goodies have been shared by the others participating in her Perfectly Prim Party.  Happy blog hopping!
Prairie Patch
Deb

14 comments:

  1. Those are really pretty, Deb. I didn't know the reason why the "shoulders" were so pronounced. It makes sense now. Do you use them in to mix up something to bake, or do you use them as decor?

    Coincidentally, I used to drive through Macomb, IL on my way to college when I lived in Illinois as an 18 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb, I have some of those very same bowls!! I am just drawn to those bowls and have found several just recently. So glad to see that someone else loves them as much as I do.8-) I have a dark brown one that is made the same. I loved it just because of the color.
    I am going to see if that name is on any of mine.
    Also going to join the party. Thanks for sharing!!
    Blessings,
    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb, Love the story about pottery bowls. I can just imagine the critters part, Ha
    I have a few that were left behind in this old house we live in . What a story they could tell. I think one was used for milk? To let the cream separate . Don't remember now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pottery - and especially love the history information you have about them. I yearn for that "slower simpler" time, too. I think the people of those times worked harder in many ways, but they were definitely more focused on what truly matters, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice old shoulder bowls Deb! I've got three myself. Love the look of them. Thanks for sharing:)
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful stoneware pieces! I never realized that the lip had a purpose . . . I love fun facts like that! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting and all of your comments everyone! Sounds like I'm not the only one who loves these old stoneware bowls! Tracy, I only use these for decoration, the big one is much to chipped to use for anything else and I would be afraid to use the Macomb bowl for fear of harming it. They are my bowl filler bowls only! Lorna, let me know if your bowl is Macomb as well and glad you're going to join the party! Phyllis, lucky you to find some of these bowls in your old house! LibbiesHome, I totally agree with you, we seem to have lost sight of what's important in this new fast paced age. Carol, I'd love to see your bowls, bet they are beauties! Madalynne, yep in the days before plastic wrap that's what they had to do LOL! I love doing research on old treasures and finding out more about them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deb, We Love BC . As a matter of fact Hubby is headed to Orcas Island in the San Juans just off BC in Wa to visit our son, this Friday for a week. We use to live there and he is also a metal artist.We use to work in Alaska too! Love your part of the country. We are New Englanders at heart and came back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deb, The pottery is beautiful! Love the story with the 98 year old Bowl! But, I am strange because I would prefer the one that has it's own little secrets! The chips and cracks show it was used and loved! That one would be my FAV!!!!
    TFS
    Blessings,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love hearing about the history behind the bowls! How interesting!

    Come over for a visit sometime!

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great bowls, I love them myself! Thanks for sharing, stop by sometime to visit!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great bowl! I love crocks, and bowls and dishes and ice cream buckets! Thanks for sharing this loved piece.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy to be a new follower! Found your blog via Perfectly Prim Party. Lots of great ideas and cozy items on your blog, just love it all. I would like to invite you to link your on-line shop to The Homespun Slate @ The Tattered Tag, would love to feature you one week. :)

    http://thetatteredtag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo