Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Perfectly Prim Link Party #2 ~ Vintage Kitchen Treasures!


Well, I'm a couple of days late but here is my contribution to The Prairie Patch's 2nd Perfectly Prim linky party, this weeks theme is prim kitchen implements.  I love old kitchen implements so I just happen to have a few pictures to share with you!
Let's start with all things butter, here's a stoneware butter churn that I got at an auction.  It's unmarked so I don't know where it came from originally or how old it is but I do love it!
Next, here's part of my butter mold and butter stamps collection:
The stamps may also have been used for stamping designs onto maple sugar candy, I've seen them used for both butter and maple sugar.
And here is my very favourite piece, my hand carved butter paddle.
I've got it displayed with a couple of my wooden mashers in the living room, they are so sculptural that I don't think they have to be relegated to the kitchen for display.  The butter paddle and the large masher are both very near and dear to my heart as they came from my grandparent's farm in Quebec. I love to hold them and know that my Grandma and my Grandpa also held them in their hands, they are a real and tangible connection to my past and I treasure them.
Next I've got an assortment of vintage kitchen implements.  Here's a wire potato masher, a mandolin or grater and what I think is a hand sieve or a hand strainer.
They are all made from metal and are nicely rusted and pitted!  Only someone who loves primitive could appreciate their well used beauty LOL!
Next, here's a nutmeg grater and a little biscuit cutter.
The little votive candle holder isn't old, I just liked it's color and shape so it lives on my little shelf with my vintage kitchen items!  I love the nutmeg grater, it has a little flap at the top where you can store your nutmeg so it's handy when you need it.
And last but not least, here's an Omega Flour measuring cup and some old hair curling tongs.
Now I know the hair curling tongs aren't exactly a vintage kitchen utensil, but you did have to use them in the kitchen in years gone by.  They had to be heated on the wood stove so you could curl your hair so I thought I'd include them!  My mom, who is in her early 70's, says she remembers her Mom using tongs like these to curl my Mom's and my aunts hair.  My how times have changed in just one lifetime!
I hope you've enjoyed looking at my pictures and I hope you'll click the link button above to go see what everyone else has shared for this wonderful prim linky party!
Deb

3 comments:

  1. Hi Deb: Loved seeing your precious and treasured pieces from the past. They are surely priceless! Can't wait to see your Basil. patti :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those are all beautiful! What a wonderful collection you have. I especially love that you have some items from your grandparents. I remember a lot of old implements my grandma used, but unfortunately I don't have any of her things.

    Thanks so much for linking up to the party, Deb.

    Cheers,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb
    Are you my long lost sister?? These are SO my taste!!
    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo