Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Saskatoon Jelly Old School!


Morning everyone, hope this finds you having a good week and surviving the heat.  We finally have some lovely warm weather here but I know that some of you are still suffering from the heat wave.

The warm weather here combined with all the rain we had earlier in the summer has resulted in a bumper crop of wild Saskatoon berries in the woods around us.  For those who aren't familiar with that particular berry, it is kind of like a seedy blueberry and the taste is sort of a cross between a blueberry and a blackberry.  You can munch on them right off the bush but they are a little seedy so I prefer to make jelly from them.  It is sooo good and a treat you don't often get around here because our usual dry, hot summers result in dried up Saskatoons come August.  But this year we had a bonanza of Saskatoon's so I picked a couple of pails of them and whipped up a batch of jelly.


The 'old school' part of this story comes in the form of the vintage straining colander pictured above.  It was a gift and I love it!  Cook up your berries, pour them into the colander and squish away with the wooden pestle.  Works like a charm and it is so easy to use.  Sometimes the old ways are the best!  I ended up with 7 half pint jars of jelly from our berries and we will hoard and savor them over the coming year!

I also just finished up a sign for a gal and will be delivering it to her later today.


She didn't want it to look too 'new' so I distressed it and aged it with some stain.  I hope she likes it, I am quite pleased with the way it turned out.  The stencil is one by Folk Art From The Harbor, I love the font!

Well I should sign off for now and get ready to head to town.  Have a great week,
Deb

5 comments:

  1. Homemade jellies are the best!
    Never heard of those berries, I have to look them up.
    Your sign turned out wonderful, I'm sure she is going to Love it!
    Prim Blessings
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandma had one of those straining colanders and wooden pestles just like that! How cool that you have one. I bet the jelly tasted yummy!

    I'm sure your your customer loved the sign. :)

    Cheers,
    Tracy Screaming Sardine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of those berries but I am a fan of blueberries and blackberries so I'm sure I'd love them,too! Haven't made jelly in a few years but my MIL has one of those strainers, too. I just use cheesecloth! Happy canning!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning, Deb,
    Your homemade Jelly sounds fabulous. I wish I could give you all my mom's canning jars.

    Make a thoughtful Thursday. ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning Deb!
    Just wanted to let you know I mentioned your blog in mine!!

    Have a wonderful Thursday!! Karen

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo