Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween My Pretties!



Okay, I know my blog title is not too original, but I've always loved that line 'my pretties'!  Hope this finds you and your ghouls having a frightfully good time getting ready to greet all of the little witches and goblins who will be coming a-haunting this All Hallow's Eve!  Living out in the country as we do, we don't get any little trick or treaters visiting us but I still love to decorate for the season and carve a pumpkin or two, guess you never get too old to enjoy Halloween!

I know this is not in the least Halloween related but I wanted to share a picture with you of my completed gingerbread man that I was telling you about in my WIP's post a little while ago.


I think he turned out too cute!  Which is actually somewhat of a miracle since I have been having a bad run lately with my crafting (see my 'burnt snowman' post here!) and this poor little guy was no exception.  I originally painted him with a colour called 'cinnamon' but it turned out to be much too red so I decided to overwash him with a light brown colour to tone it down.  What a disaster!  It looked terrible, so I took out some sandpaper to try and get rid of the brown overwash colour and ended up sanding right through the stitching holding his little pocket on and there it was, hanging off by a thread!  Back I went with my needle and thread to sew the pocket back on but he still looked terrible, not only was the colour horrendous but he looked like he'd been through a sand storm to boot!  So into the oven he went after having a bath in my grunging mixture and the result is as you see above.  Whew, he is definitley OOAK because I will never be able to replicate him after all of those steps!  If you are interested in purchasing him, he is currently listed for sale in my Etsy shop and will be on my selling blog as well later on today.

Do you have spells like this too, where everything you think you know about crafting seems to go right out the window?!  I'm still working on the candy cane crow door hanger I told you about in my WIP's post because I messed up painting the stripes onto the candy cane and I've been adding repeated layers of buttermilk paint onto it to try and cover up my mistake.  This door hanger will weigh about 20 pounds by the time I get finished what with all the paint layers!  I don't know what happens, I was on a real roll there not long ago, coming up with new designs (like my ginger above and my Elwin Elf Owl) and then, all of a sudden, there it was gone!  I truly hope it ends soon as I am getting very tired of doing the same project 16 times over LOL!

On a brighter note, I did manage to get two of my 'Black Eyed Susan' mason jar pinkeeps made up for a lovely repeat customer on Etsy without any disasters.


Well, in actual fact, I guess that isn't entirely true.  For whatever reason, I either lost or threw out my pattern and instructions from when I made my original pinkeep and so when my customer convo'ed me to order two more, I had nothing but my pictures to go on!  Luckily, she was very understanding and didn't mind the fact that they would be different from the original and so I 'back engineered' the pinkeeps from my pictures.  I now have the pattern and instructions in my file folder along with all of my other designs, where they should have been in the first place!

Well, I should be off to add another layer of paint to that poor candy cane and to work on some new designs.  I have lots of ideas swirling around in my head but with the way things have been going I'm afraid to put pencil to paper or material to sewing machine to make them a reality LOL!  Hope you are having a more stress free time creating than I am :O)

I'd like to invite you to check back here tomorrow for an exciting new link party that I am co-hosting with Tracy at the Screaming Sardine and with Terri from A Creative Princess.  It will be a charitable link party and you will be invited to link up all your handmade, upcycled, reclaimed and mixed media projects that you are planning to donate to charity over the coming holiday season.  It will be such a great and worthwhile event, hope you will join us for the Heart and Hands Charitable Link Party running from November 1st to December 10th.


See you all tomorrow!
Deb

3 comments:

  1. Deb, I love your creations, you are sooo talented. hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your wonderful creations!!!

    Happy Halloween!
    Prim Blessings
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, I LOVE your gingerbread man!! You can't tell that he was such a little pickle when you were making him. :) He's very unique and very cute.

    I go thru streaks like that where I seem to be all thumbs (ha) when it comes to creating. You just gotta work through it, and your creating mojo will come back to you. Good luck with the candy cane.

    Hugs,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo