Friday, November 11, 2011

In Remembrance Of Those Who Serve - Lest We Forget



In 1915, a young Canadian soldier, Lieutenant Alexis Homer, was killed in battle in the Second Battle of Ypres in Belgium.  His friend, a Canadian military doctor and artillary commander named Major John McCrae was asked to preside over his burial service.  Major McCrae, in honour of his fallen friend and comrade, penned the famous poem 'In Flanders Fields'.

This poem has been a part of my memories of Remembrance Day for all of my life.  I share it with you today in hopes that we will always remember those who have fought and served and paid the ultimate sacrifice so that we can enjoy the freedoms that we do today.

Lest We Forget.

In Flanders Fields
by John McCrae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow,
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.


We are the Dead.
Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.


Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow In Flanders fields.


In loving memory of my Uncle Gerald Riddell, who lost his life in WW II.  Thank you Uncle Gerald, we will love you and honour your memory always.
Deb

1 comment:

  1. Deb,
    The poem is moving! Thank you for sharing. My son and I are always reading about WWI and WWII and I will have to add this to my list and share with him.
    Enjoy this day,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo