Monday, March 5, 2012

Monday Merchant Circle Feature - Meet Laura of Cave Creek Primitives


Happy Monday everyone!   It's time for another installment of the Primitive and Folk Artist's Etsy team Monday Merchant Circle and today I'd like to introduce you to my teammate Laura of Cave Creek Primitives.


Tell us your name and how did you come up with your business name?

My name is Laura and my business is called Cave Creek Primitives.  I named it after the area in Kentucky where we live.  There's a real Cave Creek, not far from our home in the Daniel Boone National Forest.  There are also lots of caves around here.  It seemed to fit nicely.


How long have you been in business?

I've been sewing and crafting most of my life, but I seriously started making primitives about six years ago, I think.  I didn't open an Etsy shop until 2010, and then it was Cave Creek Studio.  I changed it later when I decided to focus on just primitives and folk art.


Who or what inspires you?

I receive inspiration from so many things - Nature, my own dogs and cats, other artists, and living in this area. I also have a pretty weird imagination - sometimes new ideas just pop into my head from nowhere.


What is your creative style; primitve, country, folk art?

Probably a mixture - I seem to be developing my own style as I go.  I rarely plan ahead or use patterns - more often I just get an idea, then figure out how to put it on paper and make a pattern I can use. I never know where a design is going until I work on it - then it sort of creates itself and I just follow along.

There have been several designs that I've completed that I still don't have patterns for. I'm working now at making patterns that I can release at some point.


What mediums do you use in creating your work?

Muslin fabric - by the bolt.  I have another shop, LauraOh Designs, and I save all of the fabric scraps from that to use for stuffing.  I rag-stuff all of my primitives. I also use cheap cotton sheets for stuffing. I make my primitive stain, and I also sometimes use paints and other finishes. I use a lot of vintage buttons too - I have thousands of them all over the place in tins and jars.

I have my own studio building, and I absolutely love what I do.  I am so thankful that I can do this full-time too.  My husband is a musician, with his own studio too, so we each work at home and we are truly blessed.  I give away a lot of my work to friends and neighbors.  I am most happy when something I've created makes someone else smile.


Where can we find you on the web?


Thanks so much for stopping by to read about Laura, she is one talented gal and I love her primitive critters!  Hope you can take a minute to visit her links and book mark her sites.

And just a reminder before I go that I am having a "Paying It Back" Giveaway that will be starting tomorrow and running through to March 20th, so make sure you come on back tomorrow to read all about it and enter!  Thanks so much for visiting today and see you tomorrow!

Deb

7 comments:

  1. Aw shucks...thanks Deb for a wonderful feature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great feature on Laura and her work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful work! So nice to meet Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous feature on talented Laura!
    Thanks for sharing Deb!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great feature on Laura Deb! I love Laura's creations, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love each and everyone of Laura's dollies. If I had a play house, I'd have them hanging everywhere like Laura has them hanging everywhere in her playhouse! Exemplary talent.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great feature on Laura!! She does wonderful work, so talented.
    Warm Wishes,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo