Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Canada Geese Are Flying ... North?!

We had a dusting of snow yesterday, nothing like you poor folks back East are experiencing but enough to make me realize that winter is well and truly on it's way.  The Canada geese have been flying south over our place for weeks now; even at night, in the dark, you can hear them honking as they fly swift and true to their wintering grounds.  But yesterday, a Canada goose flew up north to me here in British Columbia, all the way from Alabama.  He appears to be a bit confused about this whole migration business but I have to say that I am very happy that he has chosen to come spend the winter at our house.  Here's a picture of him:


Isn't he wonderful?!  The very talented Martha Smalley of Appletree Cottage created him and was gracious enough to send him up north to me here in Canada.  He's nested down in the kitchen right now until I find the perfect place for him to spend the winter but I'm so very glad he has come to live with us.  My apologies for the quality of the lighting in this photo, he arrived late in the day yesterday and with the time change it was already getting dark (at 4:00 p.m.!) when he posed for his closeup.

Speaking of Canada and photography, I wanted to tell you about a new blogging buddy that I've met.  Jen of Muddy Boot Dreams has a lovely blog and she is an amazingly talented photographer, check out some of her work at her website, Muddy Boot Dreams.  I play around with photography but Jen has a true artistic eye.  Head on over to her blog and give her a follow if you have a minute, I think you will enjoy her posts and her beautiful photographs.

I completed a couple of more Christmas items yesterday and got them listed in my Etsy shop.  Here are some candy cane and peppermint drops bowl fillers, a sweet Christmas treat!


And then I veered over to the shabby/vintage side and created these little pillow bowl fillers with some wonderful graphic images courtesy of the Graphics Fairy.


There is something about vintage images that I adore, I don't know whether it is the colours or the sentiments or simply the memories of a simpler, slower time that appeals to me but I've always been drawn to them.  Think I will have to make up some more items with vintage images, a selection of ornaments perhaps?

Not sure what to work on next, I have some great patterns by Becky Erickson of Tennessee Ridge Primitives printed out and ready to go plus pages of doodles downstairs of Christmas items that I've been brainstorming.  I also have to start working on four new items for our Old Farmhouse Gathering teams next celebration on Etsy, the theme is the 'Spirit of Christmas' and the launch date is November 26th.  And then I have my new listings for the Olde Primitive Peddler that I have to have ready for December 1st.  Even though it's only November 8th, the days and weeks will fly by and for a change I'd like to be ready ahead of time LOL!

So, off to make some decisions and start sewing.  I've got a pot of French Canadian pea soup simmering on the stove (got to make use of those ham bones!) so dinner is set for tonight and the pups and I have already had a nice long walk today.  Nothing to disturb me now other than the dust bunnies and glitter floating across the floor but if I don't look down I won't see them :O)  Have a great day and for those of you back East, stay warm and safe and hope the Nor'Easter blows through soon.

Deb

2 comments:

  1. I really adore your Canada goose - beautiful painting on it!
    Your latest creations are wonderful also!
    Happy crafting!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Canada Goose is adorable...

    But then so are the creations you have in your Etsy shop.

    Thanks so much for the shout out, it's wonderful to meet another Canadian blogger.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo