Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Weekend Survived

Hello, yep, it's me, I survived the Grey Cup football game and my DH's birthday party this weekend!  Actually, we had a wonderful time; the football game wasn't all that exciting (the wrong team won!) but we were surrounded by family and friends and a good time was had by all.  Hope you had a great weekend as well, I can't believe that it is Wednesday already again!

We've had snow here, off and on, since near the beginning of November and I have been worrying about the birds who over-winter here since their food sources have been covered by snow.  So I went to one of our local nurseries and bought some seeds, nuts and suet to tide them over.  The nuthatches and the chickadees have been flocking in like crazy and we have also attracted a very bossy Stellar's Jay who thinks everything is his as well as a Downy Woodpecker who is rather fond of the suet!  A Northern Flicker made a brief appearance as well and I am hoping he (or she?) will return.  I'm working on getting photographs of them but at the moment they are a little leery of us and fly off whenever the door is opened.  The squirrel, on the other hand, who has decided that all of the feeders have been put out especially for him is NOT shy in the least!


I call him 'The Thief' as he thinks all of this food is his and he aggressively chases off all of the birds, no matter where they are on the tree.  I go out and chase him away occasionally to give the smaller birds a chance to feed but he comes right back as soon as I go inside.  He and the Stellar's Jay have an ongoing battle; my Mom saw the squirrel JUMP on the jay's back as he was feeding, how's that for chutzpah?!  I'll post more pictures as I get them, hopefully they will become used to us going in and out of the house so I can snap some more pictures.

I had mentioned in a previous post that our Old Farmhouse Gathering team was going to be having a celebration on Etsy starting on November 26th and it is in full swing right now.  Just click on the image below to see what our talented team has for you this Christmas season or type in SOCOFG in the search bar on Etsy.


I listed four items in my Etsy shop for this event; I added the Gingerbread Wreath and the Snowmen and Candy Canes Cheesebox Light I showed you in this post and then decided to make more of those wonderful ice skates from Tennessee Ridge Primitives (click here to see them) for the celebration.  I also made this little 'Gift Of Love' shelf sitter.


It was a challenge to make as I couldn't stuff it too full or else I lost the square box shape, but think it turned out pretty cute in the end.

So now I'm working on some new items for my December 1st listings at the Olde Primitive Peddler.  It seems like just yesterday I was working on my November listings for Pete's sake!  How time flies when you are having fun!  I best get back to work as I am rapidly running out of time so will leave you with this photograph I snapped the other night when we were out getting some firewood.  We had the truck packed high with wood and were getting ready to head back down the mountain when the almost full moon started to peek over the hillside.  Hope you enjoy the photo and I'll be back soon to show you what I'm working on.  Talk again soon!

 Deb

3 comments:

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Glad you had a nice weekend!
Happy Birthday to you Honey!
That darn greedy squirrel ~ he probably has a whole nest of nuts.
Cute box!
Happy Crafting!
Prim Blessings
Robin

jennifer768 said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend...happy birthday to your hubby! Sweet little squirrel,guess he just has a huge appetite.LOL! Have fun crafting.Hugs,Jen

Susan At Glen Oaks Primitives said...

What a great weekend you had. Happy Birthday to your husband.
We have a "thief", actually, three.
The way of nature I suppose. I have trouble keeping fresh water for them all, it freezes so fast. I make a lot of replenishing trips outside.
Hugs,
Susan