Friday, December 14, 2012

Christmas Tree Hunt 2012

Hello everyone, my apologies for not posting sooner but I've been busy with orders and making Christmas gifts for family and friends.  Unfortunately I can't show you what I've been working on as some of those folks read my blog and I don't want to ruin their Christmas morning surprise!

So I will instead share some pictures with you of our annual Christmas tree hunt that I took last week.  We are fortunate enough to live in a rural area where we can head up to the hills behind us and cut our own Christmas tree.  We live in a home with a high vaulted ceiling, so our trees are usually 12 to 14 feet (3.7 to 4.3 meters) in height.  The trick is finding one that is tall and skinny so that we have room to walk around it!

It was a lovely afternoon when we left the house, just below freezing and we'd had a fresh fall of snow so it was looking very wintery and Christmasy, a perfect day to find the perfect Christmas tree!


You will note in the picture above that only two dogs are visible, The Delinquent had gone on a walk about in the woods and was studiously ignoring our calls to return, the brat!


She did eventually return and our hunt continued.  There is nothing more joyful than watching the pups run and play in the snow, they love it!


After much searching and shaking of snow off of branches (that's why my DH's back is covered with snow, he is the official tree shaker!), we found our Christmas tree.  Tall and perfect, it is going to look so beautiful when it is decorated!


We pulled/carried it back to the truck, it's amazing how much bigger they look when you cut them down!  We're hoping it fits in the back of the truck, let alone in the house!


Part of our Christmas tree hunt tradition is to build a big bonfire and roast some sausages.  Actually, truth be told we do this every time we head out into the bush, whether to get some firewood or just go for a walk!  A lovely end to a wonderful day.


I'll leave you with this picture that I snapped of the fire after darkness had fallen. Enjoy dreaming by the fire and I hope your Christmas preparations are almost done so you too can enjoy the beauty of the season.  Joyeux Noel!

Deb
P.S. The tree did fit in the house, just barely!  Pictures of it decorated to follow soon :O)

4 comments:

  1. What wonderful memories you have of your tree hunt. It sounds like a fun time! Can I tag along next year Deb?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an awesome way to get your tree. I am so jealous of all that beautiful white snow. I can't wait to see it decorated.
    Hugs,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a very good time,except for the snow falling down the necks.

    We wild hunted our little tree at the local big box. And we didn't get to roast sausages at the end, but that is a thought.

    Can't wait to see pics of it decorated.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a dreamy day Deb. It is a very special thing that you can choose a living tree and I'm so glad you got it in your home! Love that the doggies love the snow.Ben has yet to try it.
    It is wonderful that you make such a tradition out of choosing your tree too.I bet those sausages were good.Food always tastes better cooked outside. Happy Christmas to you all or Nadolig Llawen as we would say here. :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo