Tuesday, January 1, 2013

My Wish For You In The New Year

Happy New Year everyone!  Hard to believe that it is now 2013, sounds like some futuristic movie title from my younger days!

For me, the New Year is always a combination of anticipation and nostalgia.  Anticipation for all of the possibilities that the new year encompasses and nostalgia for what was in the old year.  I'm not one for setting resolutions as I have discovered over the years that your chances of actually fulfilling them are slim to none but I am a proponent of setting new goals.  What's the difference you ask?  Well, a resolution to me is set in stone, you will wither fulfill it or fail.  A goal on the other hand is something to aspire to, to strive to try and attain.  If you fail in reaching your goal, so be it, try again next year or next month.  How do you feel about resolutions?  Have you set any goals for yourself this year?

I have set some business goals for myself this year and am hopeful that I will be able to attain them.  As a first step, I've just accepted an invitation to join The Prim Nest and will soon be selling my creations on that great site.  I've also joined Pattern Mart recently and am in the process of making new patterns and listing them there.


Love Crow Door Hanger

I had a wonderful year on Etsy last year and hope to increase my success there by continuing to work with my Etsy teams to promote each other and our shops.  My selling blog has been getting more traffic and generating more sales as well so I'll keep on promoting it on Facebook and Twitter and through my friend Tracy at the Screaming Sardine.  The first day of each month will continue to be the day that I list new items at the Olde Primitive Peddler (click here to see what's new today!) and I've got my eye on some new selling venues, I'll keep you posted!

Last year was a year of big changes for me, I retired from my 'day job' and was able to devote more time to my crafting.  But I found as the months went by that I wasn't enjoying my new 'job' anymore, the hours and hours spent on the computer were sucking the creative energy right out of me.  So I took a sabbatical (how's that for dedication, take a sabbatical before you even really get started!) and it has worked wonders.  I still spend a lot of time on the computer (it's impossible not to when you sell online) but I've put limits on myself and make sure that I have more balance in my life.  Because that's what its all about in the end, balance.  Creating, family, friends, promotion ... they all have a place in your life but the trick is making sure that one doesn't overcome all of the others.  It's still a work in progress, balance is the real goal for me I suppose, but I have made strides towards attaining that balance in my life and I'm enjoying my new 'job' once again.

So with that being said, my wish for everyone this year is 'Balance', in your life and in your business and am hopeful that we will all be able to attain that goal.  All the best in 2013 everyone!

Deb

6 comments:

  1. Great post. Glad you're doing well and I know what you mean about the computer sucking the life out of you. I love your new header! Did you get someone to create it for you? I think it looks wonderful! Keep up the good work and I really do admire your work! Blessings, Laura R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year to you, too. I love the crow heart hanger. Your blog background and header are also awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, I just ordered the shamrock bowl fillers. Can't wait to get them. Is it ok to use them on my blog if I give credit where they are from?

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you Deb, sounds like you have it figured out!

    Give the pups a pat for me!

    Happy New Year!

    Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year to you Deb. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year to you Deb. I went over to Prim Nest to take a look...congrats. I hope you have a great year in your "new job":)

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo