Monday, January 14, 2013

Snow Bound Snowed Under Snowed In!


So the holiday season is officially over and it's time to take down the outside decorations (past time really, but procrastination IS my middle name!).  There is one small problem though, I can't get them out from under all of the snow!  My poor deer just outside the front door is in up to his chin, it will most definitely be spring before I'll be able to get him out.  The lights on my bushes and junipers are under about 3 feet of snow, I could go digging but since it has now turned colder that's not something I'm too keen on doing.


We've got some monster icicles hanging off of the eaves at the back of the house; initially I was thinking how pretty they looked until I realized that they are hanging directly over our internet satellite dish and if they fall ... well, it isn't going to be pretty and it isn't going to be cheap when they destroy our satellite dish!  We are currently trying to figure out how to get them down without hurting the dish or ourselves :O(

With all of the snow I've been putting out lots of bird seed, it gets so hard for the little guys to find food when the snow gets this deep.  We've got Evening Grossbeaks, Redpolls, Hoary Redpolls (no, they aren't birds with questionable morals, they just are lighter in colour than the Redpolls :O), Mountain Chickadees, Black Capped Chickadees, Nuthatches, American Goldfinches, Stellar's Jays, Junkos, Northern Flickers and many others that I am still trying to identify.  I got a picture of a little Downy Woodpecker munching on the suet the other day, they are so adorable!


And of course our deer are still hanging about, even with the deep snow they look to be in good shape.  This little doe was peering at me as I sat at the computer yesterday, I took her picture through the window.


Fortunately, the forecast is for warming temperatures and they aren't predicting any more snow in the near future but of course that can all change in a heart beat.  We will just have to wait and see what Mother Nature has in store for us the rest of the winter.

Hope you are warm and toasty wherever you are and that the snow isn't getting too deep in your neck of the woods.  Talk again soon,

Deb

7 comments:

  1. You are snowed under, wow...well aren't I glad that we didn't go in that area house hunting. Just teasing, it's so worth the extra snow to live where you live, the mountains, the wildlife.

    I love the birds, and they are currently eating us out of house and suet...lol.

    Wish that we could identify as many as you can.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly do have a pile of snow. Good luck with the satellite dish! The white stuff is lovely to see, but it can provide its own hazards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!That is a lot of snow.Pretty pics but I am sure you are looking forward to warmer days.Hopefully the satellite dish will come through it all ok.Blessings,Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb - Beautiful photos. Love the deer. Hope you figure what to do so your satellite dish doesn't get damaged.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb - Got my shamrocks today and LOVE them!! Thank you so much for the hearts. They are the cutest things I've ever seen.

    Thanks again friend.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you do have a lot of snow, but it is all so beautiful. Hope your satellite dish survives.
    Hugs,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wondering where you are living? All your snow and Redpoles . . . I usually have them here in Michigan but not a one this year.

    Lovely blog,
    Love, Lynne

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo