Saturday, April 20, 2013

Challenges and Rain Drops

Good Saturday morning everyone.  As I sit here at the computer this morning, the world outside of my window is wet and, finally, warm.  It's been raining something fierce for the last 24 hours or so, we even had a couple of rumbles of thunder yesterday afternoon.  And I am so HAPPY!  Yep, happy to see the rain; to smell, for the first time this year, that fresh, alive, growing things smell that perfumes the air after a hard rain.  The ground is soaking up the moisture, the creek is leaping over it's banks and racing pell mell down the valley, the trees and bushes are starting to leaf out and I now have two crocuses in my garden, happy days!

And as for the challenges; well I am referring to three challenges that I have entered over at Cloth Doll Artistry.  Hopefully I'm not setting myself up for failure signing up for three to start but hey, that's me, in for a penny, in for a pound!  The first challenge is to create a fantasy garden denizen in a folk, primitive or vintage style.  I'm leaning towards a prairie garden fairy or elf or guardian and may incorporate Wendy's pattern (Ravenwood Whimzies) from her Spring Doll Challenge so I can fulfill two commitments in one doll.  She's mostly in my head right now so nothing to show you on paper (other than Wendy's pattern of course!) and I have to go visit my fabric stash to see what inspires me.  I'm envisioning a prairie bonnet on her head that is framed with flower petals, lady bugs and birds and bees as her companions, a watering jug in her hands??  Hmmm, getting there!

The second challenge is to make something utilizing rag fringe, you know, like in a rag quilt?  I've 'ragged' some little hearts as you know (see my tutorial here) but have never made anything larger.  So for this challenge I'm considering some ragged Christmas stockings.  And yes, I know it is April but I've been meaning to make DH and I and the three pups new Christmas stockings for years now and this may just be the ticket.  First things first though, I have to go do some internet research to find out how to make a rag quilt; I've been wracking my brain trying to visualize how you sew the corners where the ragged squares intersect and join with each other and I'm not seeing it!  Thank goodness for YouTube!

And finally, the last challenge I've entered is to make a fantasy soft animal.  Initially this seemed like the easiest one until I started to try and visualize a fantasy animal.  Everything I drew became a real animal, I couldn't help myself!  I doodled and doodled and doodled and then totems came into my mind.  I spent most of my youth living on the coast of British Columbia and the art and culture of the West Coast Salish people is a strong influence here.  Totems led me to Thunderbirds, that mythological bird of prey that brings the thunder and lightening, and from there came my Sumabird, Bringer of Summer.


As you can see, I'm still very much in the conceptual phase but I'm liking where she is headed so far.  She is a much kinder, gentler bird than the Thunderbird; her head is crowned in flowers, the sun and the clouds reside on her belly and her tears bring the Summer rains.  I've doodled some more since taking this picture and now her wings have become the bringer of the gentle Summer breezes and her feet are covered with flowers so they will grow wherever she lands.  I'm having a lot of fun with this and am so happy that I've joined CDA to expand my horizons, learn new techniques and get me out of my comfort zone.  Sumabird is still very much me, but I don't know that I would have come up with her if not for the challenge.  I'll post pics of my challenges as I progress; both the primitive fantasy garden denizen and the fantasy soft animal are to be completed by June 20th.  Fortunately the rag quilt creation is a 'bonus' challenge and I have until November to get it completed, thank goodness!

 And just to add to my list of things to do, our Old Farmhouse Gathering team will be having their Summer Fun Celebration in May and sign ups start at the end of this month.  So I have to get my thinking cap on for that as well as I usually try to make four new items to list in my Etsy shop for our celebrations.  And let's see, what else??  Wendy's Spring Doll Challenge as I mentioned above; I'm still working on the special order pillow shams for my customer (I have discovered that my tried and true image transfer technique no longer works as Golden appears to have changed the formulation of the Tar Gel so I'm searching for a new method!); new items also need to be made for my Olde Primitive Peddler shop and my Prim Nest shop for May 1st; and a new pattern or two for PatternMart .... ummm, I'm thinking that is more than enough, I need to get more sticky notes plastered on my computer so I remember to do all of this STUFF!!

 So having said all of that, I had better get off of this computer and get to work :O)  Have a great weekend everyone and we'll talk again soon,

Deb

6 comments:

  1. Busy, busy! Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, three challenges, I bet your thoughts are swimming. But I have faith in you, I know whatever you do, you put alot of thought into it.
    Can't wait to see what you come up with, I know it will be great! hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb... I am impressed! Three challenges... I can barely commit to one! Can't wait to see the finished products! You've got rain... we are supposed to get snow.... sigh! Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you joined CDA...it's a fun place with something for everyone. I always do at least two or three challenges if I can. Right now I'm pondering which ones I want to do. I find I learn something new every time because you really have to think out of the box on some of them:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, you have taken on a lot. You go, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you really are busy. Looking forward to seeing your new creations, esp. the doll for Wendy's Doll Challenge ")

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo