Friday, June 28, 2013

Goodbye June, Hello July and A Special Canada Day Present!

Goodbye June, so sad to see you go and by the bye, how did it get to be the end of June already??  Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin' into the future (with special thanks to The Steve Miller Band for that line).  Time seems to be wearing roller skates these days, I am having a heck of a time keeping up.  So what have I been up to you ask?  Good question, let me see if I can answer you!

I've been working on some more projects for my Mixed Media Studio group; we are having a Z fold card swap so I made up a couple.  I'm not much of a card maker and didn't have a clue what a Z fold card was at first but after an internet search and watching a couple of videos I figured I could make them.  Here is the first card, I used a floral/garden theme for this one:


And a peek at the inside of the Z fold:


And the second card has a bird theme:

Here's the inside:


I am loving the challenges and swaps at the Mixed Media Studio as I am using so much of my craft stash that has sat idle for (quite literally!) years.  I used my brass embossing stencils which haven't seen the light of day in eons and also some of the corrugated and textured papers that have been moldering in boxes.  I also used my lovely Clear Art stamps from Crafty Secrets which I love and use often.  Don't think you can get them as stamps any longer but I do believe the images are still available as a digital download.  And then of course, I had to use some distress ink (Tim Holtz brand) and some other background stamps and digital papers that I have.  It's amazing what you find on your computer and in your stash boxes when you go looking!!


I feel that I should really have more than that to show you, but that's it folks :O(  I have been looking at tutorials on how to make coffee filter roses and peonies since our next Mixed Media challenge is to make a bouquet and I've also been collecting images and bits and bobs to make some ATC's (artist's trading cards for those who have no idea what I'm talking about!) on a theme of 'Sew Easy'.  We are to create three different ATC's on this theme for our swap partners so I've been scouring my computer for sewing related images and brainstorming some ideas.  So far I think I will do one on a quilting theme, one on an embroidery or stitchery theme and I'd love to paint one with a sewing scene but have come up blank for any painting patterns in a folk art or primitive style with sewing ephemera incorporated into it.  If anyone can direct me to such a painting pattern, send me the link please!  Also, the end of the month is looming and yet again I am behind the times with my new creations for my Olde Primitive Peddler shop and Prim Nest shop so I HAVE TO get busy on them immediately.  I promise to post pictures as I get my projects completed, so stay tuned!

With the beginning of July in the offing, I know that my American readers are getting ready for their big 4th of July celebrations and those of us here in Canada are also getting ready to celebrate the birthday of our wonderful country, July 1st is Canada Day here in Canada.  Canada will be 146 years young on July 1st and I am so proud to be a citizen of this wonderful country, the true north strong and free!

Canada Day Graphics

As a present to all of you in anticipation of our 146th birthday, I'd like to share with you this video made by Canada's most recognized (and coolest!) citizen, Commander Chris Hadfield, our most famous Canadian astronaut and past Commander of the International Space Station.  Commander Hadfield is not only an astronaut but a wonderful musician and on his final days as Commander of the ISC made this video of him singing David Bowie's "Space Oddity".  If you haven't seen it, be prepared to be blown away, it is wonderful and if you have seen it, hope you will enjoy it again.  Happy Canada Day and rock on Commander Hadfield!




Deb

9 comments:

  1. Your cards are so pretty Deb. You are really into a bunch of stuff huh.

    Happy Canada Day.

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 's a great post Deb. Commander Hadfield really did our Country proud with his leadership. We were watching the space station going over on several nights, a great experience. We still continue to watch if it's during our evening hours...... Romona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Canada day to you too...and it's going to be a hot and sunny weekend, hooray.

    Loving your cards...they truly are beautiful.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb, your card is amazing! Happy Canada to you!!! Hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Canada Deb from another fellow Canadian. You did a great job on both your Z fold cards and love the combos you used.

    Thanks for joining our July Linky Party and good luck in the draw!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely cards, with pretty details.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That little bird stamp has always been one of my favorites, and you did a great job with the card. Thanks for playing along in the Crafty Secrets July Linky party, and good luck in the drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cards!! Love the wonderful designs!!

    Thank you so much for joining us for the Crafty Secrets July Linky Party!

    hugs...
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! and thanks for playing along with us!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo