Saturday, August 10, 2013

Handfasted And Heartjoined

Evening peeps, hope you are having a great weekend so far.  It's still hot here and we had a day of thunder and dry lightening which is not welcome around here at this time of year.  The water bombers were flying over the house heading south a few minutes ago, so forest fires have sparked up somewhere but I can't smell any smoke so it can't be too near to us.  Wherever it is, hope no one is in harms way and thanking the firefighters who work so hard to keep us all safe.

In between working on the deck (the joists and blocking are all done, so now just need some deck boards and a railing, woo-hoo!), I've been working on my Wedding themed ATC for our Mixed Media studio paper swap for August.  I got it finished today;


and I'm calling it 'Handfasted And Heartjoined'.  The handfasting theme I chose for the Wedding ATC called to my Celtic roots and I had a fun time researching the ceremony and finding images and elements.  I now know where the saying 'Tie the knot' came from, handfasting!


Here's a definition from The American Heritage Dictionary:

"hand.fast (hndfast)
n. Archaic
A handclasp used to signify a pledge, such as a contract or marriage.
[From Middle English hondfast, past participle of hondfesten, to betroth, from Old Norse handfesta, to strike a bargain, pledge: hond, hand + festa, to fasten, fix, affirm: see past-in Indo-European roots.]"

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.  Updated in 2009.  Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.


The ceremony is still practiced today, especially for Pagan and Celtic unions.  I love this exerpt from a Pagan handfasting ceremony that I found:

"This cord symbolizes so much. It is your life, your love, and the eternal connection that the two of you have found with one another. The ties of this handfasting are not formed by these cords, or even by the knots connecting them. They are formed instead by your vows, by your pledge, your souls, and your two hearts, now bound together as one."

Isn't that lovely?  I actually incorporated it into the ATC, it is the text on that little teeny, tiny book on the upper right LOL!  No one but me will know it's there but the words were too beautiful to leave out.

So now on to the Goth doll.  I have no more excuses to not work on her (well, I do have some orders but that's not an excuse!) so she WILL get done!  I have her head sewn up, ready to stuff and needle sculpt, so that is on the agenda for tomorrow or the next day.  I have to do some research on adding paper clay over a cloth form, off to YouTube I go!  Hope you have a lovely Sunday and I'll be back again soon with the continuing deck saga and some Goth doll WIP pictures (I hope!).  Stay cool and happy creating!

Deb

3 comments:

  1. Dry lightning...definitely NOT a good thing.

    Love the card and the idea of handfasting.

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo