Monday, August 5, 2013

WIPS and Weather


The storm clouds have been building around here the last few days.  Amazing towering, billowing mounds of cotton candy fluff that turn dark and threatening within minutes.


We've had lots of rumbles, the occasional flash and only a smattering of rain which in our dry conditions is not a very good recipe.  But despite the dangers that they represent, I LOVE thunder storms; have ever since I was a kid and we lived in Calgary, Alberta.  I remember sitting on the front steps of our house and watching the storms roll across the prairies towards us and then build up and BOOM against the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.  The power and strength in thunderstorms makes you realize how small and insignificant you really are.  Mother Nature putting us in our place.  Environment Canada has a saying they've been promoting lately; 'When the thunder roars, go indoors'.  I have to admit that I do the exact opposite, when I hear even a faint rumble I'm running outside to watch the show.  Perhaps not the smartest or safest move but I can't resist a good storm!

As for the WIPS referred to in my post title, I thought I'd show you the progress on our deck that we've been building.


I know, I know, it doesn't look like much yet, but we are very pleased with our progress believe it or not!  We've never built a deck so it's been slow going but it's solid and (somewhat!) square so we are quite pleased with ourselves :O)  We've got a few joists up since I took this picture and we will be decking within a few days.  Then on to the larger deck on the other side of the house, but it is much closer to the ground without any steep drop offs so will be easier even though it is larger.  We are also hoping that since we've sweated over the details on this deck that the second will go faster?  At least, that's what we are telling ourselves!

With the deck building, not much has been happening in the creating department, but I did get my push molds from Wee Folk and made another doll head for my pin swap at the Mixed Media Studio.


I am much happier with this head as compared to the one I showed you a few posts back, the mold from Wee Folk is a dream to work with and I think she is rather lovely!  Still working on the finishing details but at least it is a start.  And I've got the mock up of my 'Wedding' themed ATC done for our Paper Studio ATC swap and the background papers and some of the embellishments printed, so will get to work on that shortly as well.  That leaves my poor Goth doll who has had no progress made on her at all.  But I've got to get her done soon as we will be away on holidays in September so she has to be finished and posted at the Mixed Media Studio before we leave.  The other swap which is also due in September and that has to get out early is an altered mouse trap and that I finished up a little while ago, here's a picture:


Who knew a mouse trap could look so good?!  I decoupaged a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson onto it "The Earth laughs in flowers" and added a flower I made from a coffee bean bag and a little stone that I decoupaged the word 'Fleur' on to.  The bottom of the trap is covered with a floral image from a paper napkin and the top is covered with tissue paper I stamped with some of my Crafty Secrets stamps.   Very fun to make; I have three more traps and want to make some more of these for myself, great note holders!  The local mouse population would probably appreciate me using them as note holders as well!

So that's about all the news that's fit to print right now, hope you all had a lovely weekend and that your weather isn't too stormy.  Have a great week and happy creating!

Deb

6 comments:

  1. You will enjoy your new deck so much,
    you can sit or lay out there and watch those clouds roll by.
    I love thunder too...and rain.
    It is raining here right now this morning.
    Enjoy your day.
    Earlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb, I know you are excited about your deck. Love your doll mold and can't wait to see her when she is finished. The pictures you shared are beautiful. hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the mouse trap!!!! I never would have thought of decorating one but its adorable. The doll face is very pretty too.

    I think your deck looks great.

    I love me a thunderstorm too.

    have a great week.

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures of the thunderhead clouds. They can be amazing. Looks like the deck is coming along good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so love thunderstorms as well and you'll find me outside enjoying the show too!!!
    Wonderful wip and creations big and small!!!
    Can't wait to see your deck all finished up!!! I'm sure it will look grand!
    Prim Blessings
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute mouse trap! I've been sewing mice this week so who knows what I'll do next! Love your cloud photos! WOW!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo