Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Eclectic Creating

 
Hello everyone, hope this finds you all well and enjoying the changing of the seasons.  I don't have much fall decorating done around here yet but did manage to get my scarecrow and pumpkin wreath up on the front door.  I painted this YEARS ago, think it is a Laurie Speltz design?, but to be honest I don't really remember!  It's cute though and graces our door each year at this time.

The leaves are turning and falling here in B.C.


and our burning bush is in it's full glory.

The apples are now ripe


and having been hit with a tinge of frost are ready for harvest.  These apples are not the tastiest in the world (not sure what kind they are, they look like a MacIntosh but are very tart) so we often pick a few for cooking and then leave the rest for the deer, who absolutely love them!

And my hubby has been busy harvesting dead standing trees in the woods around our home for our winter wood supply and the log splitter has been working hard (as has he!).


Winter, hard to believe that it is on it's way but we were reminded the other night that it is looming closer.  A storm hit in the middle of the night a couple of days ago, ferocious winds and pounding rain that woke us up out of a dead sleep.  And when we arose in the morning, the tops of the hills across the valley were white with SNOW!  It has since melted but was a sobering reminder of what is soon to come.

So perhaps because of that brief, snowy interlude I decided to create some Christmas hang tags.


 I used some vintage Christmas postcard images from The Graphics Fairy and from Dee Duncan Folk Art and added some embellishments from my beloved PicMonkey :O)  They are listed in my Etsy shop as a digital download file if you'd like to make some of your own, click here to view the listing.  Never too soon to start getting ready for Christmas, n'est-ce pas?!

And because Hallowe'en is soon to arrive, I also created a spooky mini book, from one sheet of 12" x 12" scrapbooking paper, in response to the latest Paper Studio challenge at our Mixed Media Studio group.  I'd never made one before but there are tons of videos on good 'ol YouTube on how to make them and I used this one from Splitcoaststampers to make mine.  The book is only about 3 3/4" tall by 3 1/4" wide so it was a bit 'fiddly' to make but I think it turned out great.


I was inspired by some of the great images that I got in some digital collage sheets from Alpha Stamps, specifically the Witches Apothecary Cabinet Set, the Potions and Poisons Set and the Apothecary Book Spines and Covers Set.  I decided to make a 'Spells & Magic' mini book from a sheet of Graphics45 'Steampunk Spells Collection' paper, complete with spells and incantations that I put on tags that are inside the book.





Some of the incantations I put on the tags were included on the Alpha Stamps collage sheets, but I needed some more so visited Witchway.net and found many more spells and blessings there from Wiccan and Pagan traditions.  A great site and very educational!

Now I have to shift gears again and start to work on more Christmas creations for my Etsy shop as our Old Farmhouse Gathering teams Christmas celebration is soon to start.  I hope to be able to make my usual four new items for the celebration but as my crafting mojo is still playing hide and seek, I may find it more difficult than usual.  I've been writing word lists related to Christmas and trying to combine them in unexpected ways to get an inspirational spark but my usual 'modus operandi' is not working it's magic right now.  Wish me luck, sign ups for the Celebration start on October 11th so I'm running out of time!  Come on crafting mojo, I know you are lurking around the edges of my brain somewhere!

Well, I should sign off and get to work, hope you have a wonderful week and that your creative spark is working overtime!  Talk again soon and happy creating,

Deb

3 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you again. Sure hope you are feeling stronger these days.

    Neat book but I have to as what about the Goth Doll?

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little book is fabulous Deb:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My looks like you have been pretty busy! I love the tags. I might have to try them out. :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo