Friday, November 29, 2013

Hot Air Balloon Challenge - Done!

Good evening everyone, hope this finds you all stuffed full of turkey and soaking your feet after a day of shopping till you drop! A belated Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends, hope you had a wonderful day with family and friends.  We celebrated Thanksgiving in Canada back in October, so no turkey hangovers here today and shopping is something I hate to do at the best of times, so heading out to the stores on 'Black Friday' is the last thing I'd ever do!  Instead, I worked on my hot air balloon for my Mixed Media Studio group challenge and finally got it completed (the deadline is tomorrow so I got it finished in the nick of time, or is that the Saint Nick of time?!).

I'm calling my hot air balloon 'Santa's Flight', Santa has found a new mode of transportation! 


The challenge was to make a hot air balloon using Laura Carson's template but to make it without buying anything to complete it.  We could use found objects or items already in our stash or things we found online for free, but no new purchases.  With Christmas on the horizon, I decided to make a hot air balloon with a Christmas theme and when I found this wonderful Santa paper puppet:


at The Sum of All Crafts blog and the Santa sleigh tutorial and template by Lesley Shepherd on About.com I knew I was going to make a Santa's sleigh hot air balloon.


I used Christmas sheet music for each of the balloon panels and then added some angel wing images that I found online, just in case Santa needed a little more lift!  The Christmas vignettes on each panel are from images provided by The Graphics Fairy and my Dee Duncan Folk Art and I colored some pop can tabs with alcohol inks to attach the guy wires to.


I printed out some banners from PicMonkey, that I added Christmas phrases to, and attached the wires from the balloon to a grapevine wreath embellished with pip berries.  The little light bulb ornaments on the lines heading down to Santa's sleigh have been in my stash forever, have no idea where I got them from, but I finally found a use for them!


Donner and Blitzen have come along for the ride with Santa, inside the sleigh, and they're enjoying just floating along!  I sprinkled the reindeer (from an image found on The Graphics Fairy) and the sleigh with Glamor Dust and then added some copper glitter glue to the sleigh runners and edges.  I cut some holly leaves and berries off one of those wire Christmas garlands and glued them onto the sleigh and then added some foil wrapped presents into the back seat along with a chenille candy cane, everything from my stash.


It's finished on all sides, so it is going to make a great decoration for our tree this year.  We always cut down our own Christmas tree in the woods around us here and there is always one glaring bare spot that needs something long to fill it in (no perfectly sculpted tree's in this house!). This 'Santa's Flight Hot Air Balloon' will be the perfect solution to the problem :O)  I had a ball making this, thanks to everyone who provided all the wonderful free templates and images and thanks to the Mixed Media Studio for the inspirational spark!

Must run as I have some new items to get finished for my Prim Nest shop and I also have to get to work on my next Mixed Media Studio challenge, a photo album made from brown paper bags.  Since I'm in full Christmas mode now, I'm thinking it will be a Christmas album to give as a gift this year to someone special ... I wonder who?  Thanks for stopping by and happy creating,

Deb

5 comments:

  1. Wow how cool is that. How long did it take you to make it. It's really neat.

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fabulous Deb...I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did great, and it's lovely.

    Looking forward to the cold that they are predicting?

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very neat! Like the old-fashioned look. I'm not a Black Friday shopper either unless it's online shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you did an awesome job, I admire your talent. hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo