Friday, November 22, 2013

Too Sweet ATC

Good morning, it's another frosty day here in B.C.  Our temperatures have been dropping down to -20 C (about 4 F) at night and while we are having beautiful blue sky days, it's not warming up a whole bunch!  The snow squeak crunches under foot when we are out walking and the pups can't be out too long before they are holding up cold paws and heading for the door to get back in.  It is supposed to warm up over the next couple of days thank goodness, both for the pup's sake and ours!  I still have to get the Christmas lights up outside and the thought of doing it in -20 C weather is too much to bear.

I just finished up an ATC for a swap I am doing with our Mixed Media Studio group.  The theme for this month was 'Too Sweet'.  Perhaps because Christmas is on the horizon, my thoughts immediately flew to sugar plums as referenced in the wonderful book "Twas The Night Before Christmas" by Clement Moore:

"'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;
The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads....."

So here's my Too Sweet ATC I'm calling 'Sugar Plums Dancing':

I used lots of German glass glitter to imitate sugar crystals and images of candy, Sugar Plum fairies dancing and even the front cover of a vintage "The Night Before Christmas" book.  And don't you love the vintage 'Santa Claus Sugar Plums' label?  Hope my swap partner likes it, I sent it off yesterday so she should get it in a week or so (Canada Post and USPS willing!).

 My next mixed media project I have to complete is a hot air balloon using Laura Carson's template from her blog Artfully Musing, the kicker being it has to be made with 'found' objects rather than buying all your supplies to make it.  So I've been collecting bits and bobs and scouring my stashes and think I am going to do a Christmas hot air balloon.  It's still a WIP but I'll post some pictures when it actually starts to look like a hot air balloon!   And hot on the heels of that, I have to get working on a paper bag album for our November Paper Studio Challenge.  I have one I've been working on so I can show folks what I make (I blogged about it here), but in the interest of fair play I will make up a new one for the challenge.  And THEN, last but not least for this year's challenges and swaps, I have to get working on a shrine for our Mixed Media 4th quarter challenge.  I have a pretty good idea what I am going to make; I have a wee, tiny little shrine kit that I bought from Paper Whimsy a while back and I am planning on using it.  The details shall have to remain secret for now as it is going to be a gift for someone who may (or may not?!) be reading this blog :O)

Just wanted to remind you all as well about our Old Farmhouse Gathering team's "Trim The Tree With OFG" treasury contest that is open until November 24th.

 
Click here to enter by commenting on the Etsy treasury or click on the button at the top left corner of my blog.  If you are the lucky winner, you will get each and every ornament included in this treasury to decorate your tree, a very generous giveaway from the folks at the Farmhouse!  I should have mentioned this the first time I told you about it (and my apologies for not doing so) but this giveaway is open to U.S. and Canadian residents only.

So that is it for now, hope you are staying warm and being creative.  We'll talk again soon,
Deb

12 comments:

  1. You know some dork will say your ATC is "sweet." Guess that's me! Very sweet! Brr... Your temps are cold. I've seen a poor pup raising a "frozen" foot many times. Winter is tough on all of us! Stay warm up there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job, it's very colorful and lively.

    Snow...sigh..we don't have any, but it's coming.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brrrrr 4 degrees F is tooooo cold for me.

    Alas its headed our way this weekend or so the weatherman says.

    Stay warm.
    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this inspiration! Love folk art and have studied it for years.
    I will check in more often, if I can figure out your blog.
    I blog on wordpress and since I am computer impaired I can do that easier.
    www.patternstriendandtrue.org

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deb, I love your mixed media project. A perfect creation for "The Night Before Christmas" story!

    I'm a cold weather fan but 4 degrees might be a little on the "too cold" side.

    ~willa~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Winter is settling up here in Alaska too! Not looking forward to the cold. You did a really nice job! It is so pretty. Thanks for sharing with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deb! Don't you just love this cold weather?? Brrrrr..... Good to visit your blog again, will be doing that a lot more very soon with my job ending! Yay!!! Now I will be looking to you for some more inspiration... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you are having fun with the Mixed Media Group. The hot air balloon idea is awesome. Laura always comes up with such great ideas:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Deb! Love your mixed media projects! Bet they are fun to do. Snowy and cold here too. Stay Warm ~*~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good gracious it is soooooooooooo cold near you! Love that ATC. Sweet indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stopping by to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo