Thursday, March 20, 2014

Count Down

Five ...  Four .... Three .... Two .... One .....

HAPPY
SPRING!

It's now official, at exactly 9:57 a.m. Pacific Daylight Time, the Spring equinox began and I can now use the 'S' word without fear of retribution from Ol' Man Winter.  Take that Winter, it is now

SPRING!

and your reign is over.  It's been a long, brutal winter for many folks so here's to a warm and gentle Spring for everyone.

In between doing a happy dance at the thought that Spring was about to be Sprung, I did manage to get my Flower ATC's completed for my Mixed Media Studio swap.  We are now doing two ATC's on the same theme to give to our swap partners each month, so for the first Flower ATC I decided to break out my long neglected water colour paints.  How long neglected you ask?  Well, I had to go through several dried up tubes of paint before I found some viable candidates and do you think I can find my water colour palette anywhere??!!  I have hunted high and low and it is nowhere to be found; I have not a clue what I could have done with it.  So a tin foil pie plate had to be substituted and it actually worked quite well :O)  I decided to paint a daffodil and incorporated the last two lines from William Wordsworth's poem "Daffodils" into my ATC.


I am so out of practice painting with my watercolours but all in all, I'm not displeased with the results.  Hopefully me swap partner will like it as well.

For the second ATC, I used some images from The Graphics Fairy (my favourite source for vintage images) and added a couple of embossed, fussy cut flowers on pop dots to give it a little dimension plus an adorable chip board bee.


I was going to use some flowers cut out with my Tim Holtz "Tattered Florals" die for this ATC but the size was all wrong, so they got used on a tag instead that I made to send as a little extra to my swap partner.


Everything was packaged up yesterday and was sent on it's way to Ontario, so one more item has been crossed off my Mixed Media Studio 'to-do' list.

I also sent off my cat cone swap yesterday (or should I say my feline-o-morphic human cone, click here to read my last post if you haven't got a clue what I'm talking about ;O) and I made an Easter tag to send along with it.


The cat cone and the Easter tag are on their way to Utah and hopefully everything will arrive safe and sound to their respective destinations.

So now I am onto completing the 'Drawing On Book Pages' challenge.  I am hemming and hawing about what to do for this one; we are to draw, stamp and/or paint onto a book page and the subject matter is up to us.  I am contemplating choosing a subject (say a ladybug for example) and then using an old dictionary page with the word 'ladybug' on it as my base.  I may end up using a stamp or stamps for this first attempt as the thought of drawing and then painting or colouring has me rather frozen with fear!  If you could see the examples that some of my fellow Mixed Media Studio artisans have already done, you would understand my hesitation, they are magnificent!  Very high standards to live up to and I'm not sure my free handed drawing skills are up to the challenge.  But we'll see, nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say!

Happy Spring to all my blogging buddies, may the sun warm your face, the bird song fill your heart and the new buds bursting from the trees fill your days with joy!  Have a wonderful weekend and happy creating!

Deb

7 comments:

  1. Glad you finally made it to the "S" word! Happy spring to you! Still a little bit of winter here, but we are getting there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Spring Deb!! :)

    WOW - WOW - WOW - love your cards!! Really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So who shall we blame for that lovely snow/hail storm in Enderby today? Hmmmm?

    I was at the River walk trying to take some photos, and couldn't even see for the white stuff.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had some snow yesterday morning too but it melted off by noon. I am hearing more birds and finally saw a robin! Hurray! Love your creations. The painted daffodil is wonderful! Great colors. I use a paper plate as a palette then toss it-- no clean up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb, I love your mixed media items especially the daffodil you painted. They are all fabulous.

    Looks like we have the possibility of a big S--w storm moving in the first part of next week. I know you don't like that S word. Temps in the low 7Os tomorrow, I'm taking it one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well aren't you just the multi talented woman you. LOL.

    Pretty daffodil

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all so pretty! Happy Spring to you! It's finally here! :) I never thought we would see it again! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo