I was lamenting my dismal organizational abilities when it came to my fat quarters of fabric a few weeks ago; I did have them (mostly!) organized into colour groupings but then they were piled one on top of the other in a huge storage bin and it was impossible to see what fabrics I had. I've been
and since the storage container I used was deep enough for two layers I just made a quick little box from some card stock to house the top layer of fabric. I've five containers in total with all the colours organized and room for a few more. I'm so pleased with this, I could probably do even more organizing to group like colour tones together but for now this will do.
And since I was on an organizing roll (or should I say fold?!), I decided to do my ribbons and trims as well. Now, this method of using the zip lock bags with a chipboard top to hang them was one I found on YouTube, but do you think I can find it again to give you the link?! Not a chance, so if anyone knows whose idea this was originally, let me know in the comments so I can give credit where credit is due.
I didn't have any split rings when I made the bags, so I just used some twisted wire to hang them from the dowel for now and the bag tops haven't been labelled yet but what a treat to be able to unzip just one bag and get the colour of ribbon I need rather than rooting through a disorganized bin. I've got this hung up over my work bench in the basement so they are there within easy reach, yet up and out of the way. I used large zip lock bags and then used some old cardboard file folders I have to sandwich the top of the bag. Used my Cropadile to punch holes and add the grommet and done. Easy peasy, the most labour intensive part was dividing my ribbons into colours and then winding the bits and bobs I had onto these printable ribbon organizers that I got from Free Pretty Things For You.
I finally completed the vintage Christmas image bowl fillers that I was making for one of my Etsy customers, they were a challenge as the images she wanted to use were so delicately coloured that it was difficult to get a clear transfer to the fabric. I ended up in the end printing the images directly onto some white cotton fabric, not something I like to do since it is so hard on your printer heads but it was the only way that I could get a true copy of her images.
I did try the Lesley Riley TAP to transfer them and while the image itself was beautiful, the colours were completely distorted since you have to use a high heat on your iron to transfer the image from the TAP to the fabric.
The right side is the untransferred image printed on copy paper and the left side is the image transferred to white cotton fabric using the TAP, lovely crisp image but the colours are no where near the same. Have to admit I was more than a little disappointed at the results since this transfer paper is not cheap and no where, in any of the articles or videos I saw about it, was the colour change due to the high heat mentioned. So just a heads up if you are contemplating using this paper, what you see is not necessarily what you are going to get!
And finally, I'm working on a little fox shelf sitter (he's inspired by a pattern by Matsutake), here he is waiting for some paint and embellishments.
Sorry for mentioning "that song", you'll be humming it all day for sure now :O) I watched it on YouTube awhile back to find out what all the hype was about and have regretted it ever since LOL!
Hope you have a great weekend and that Spring is beginning to show her face in your neck of the woods. We had freezing rain last night which has made it rather crunchy around here today but the sun is now out and the trees are raining melting ice so it's all good! Happy creating,