Saturday, March 29, 2014

Of Goats And Altered Clocks

How's that for an eclectic title LOL!  But it's what I've been working on lately and my brain was unable to find a catchy connection between goats and a clock so I figured honesty was the best policy :O)

First, here are a couple of custom order goats that I made for one of my Mixed Media Studio friends.  She has a lovely farm in the Eastern States and has a wee herd of goats and asked me to make a couple of my billy goat gruff bowl fillers to look like two of her boys.



She sent me pictures of them when they were kids so hopefully I have captured their likenesses.  I had to wait to get a new felting needle before I could complete them for her but it finally arrived and they are now off in the mail.

And I finally finished my altered working clock challenge for our Mixed Media Studio group, which I am also linking up to Frilly And Funkie's Time After Time challenge.  My hubby received a clock from Canadian National Railway to commemorate 25 years of service awhile back and although it is a lovely, heavy clock it was so darn ugly we never had it out LOL!

They call it a 'rosewood' casing but in reality it was a weird red marbled plastic with bright brass embellishments, not our style at all.  I have no idea why I didn't think of altering it before this challenge came up, the thought never even occurred to me!  But as soon as the challenge was proposed, my thoughts turned to this clock immediately and my hubby was game to let me have a go at his commemorative clock.  So here is the same clock, altered to within an inch of it's life LOL!






I should have taken step by step photographs of the process but I got going on a roll and never even thought about it till now.  So here's a description of what I did in case you want to give something similar a try.

I first took it all apart and sanded the plastic casing to give it some tooth.  Then I glued on some MDF gears (from Paper Whimsy) and some chipboard pieces that I cut out for the railway crossing signs and the tracks.  I then covered everything with a coat of gesso and let it dry overnight.  Thanks to Laura Carson of Artfully Musing for her tutorial on adding the chipboard embellishments to create the embossed look, love it!  Then it was layer upon layer of acrylic paint to create the grungy aged appearance; I used Americana Burnt Umber, Charcoal and Asphaltum slip slapped here and there to achieve the look.

I couldn't get the clock hands off (I'm sure they are just a pressure fit but I was afraid to pull them too hard in case I wrecked the clock workings) so I took an oil pastel crayon and smudged it onto the white clock face insert and the casing with my finger.  I used Burnt Umber again and a touch of black.

I then used some Tim Holtz Adirondack alcohol ink on the brass ring around the clock, on the sweep second hand, on the engraved name plate and on the back plate.  It did tone down the brass (I used Latte and Ginger alcohol inks) but it was still a bit too new looking for my liking so I smudged on some Martha Stewart Multi-Surface acrylic paint in Brushed Pewter as well.  LOVED that look, so more brushed pewter went onto the gears and onto the rails of the railway tracks and onto the bun feet and edges of the top and bottom pediments.  I then defined the railway crossing sign with a dry brush of Americana Sand and then loosely wrote in the words 'Railway Crossing' in a white gel pen so it would look old and worn.

The cover plate on the back was looking way too empty, so I printed out a steam locomotive image that I found on Pinterest and modge podged it onto the brass plate.  Fabulous!

Next I painted up a little wooden toy train that I had gotten for my DH several Christmas' ago with Americana Black, Asphaltum and Burnt Umber acrylic paints and then highlighted it with the Martha Stewart Brushed Pewter paint and a little Americana Sand onto the windows.  I glued on some metal gears I had in my stash to the wheels for a more industrial look.  It got glued onto the top of the clock with some E6000 to make sure it didn't go anywhere!

And finally, I made up an 'All Aboard' sign on my Paint.net program and used a transit ticket image from my Crafty Secrets Typography CD and adhered them to the front of the clock.  I've since added a second copy of the images overtop with pop dots to give it a little more dimension and it looks great.

I am thrilled with the final look and my hubby loves it too, which is the most important thing since it is his commemorative clock after all!  He said he is going to post a picture of it at work since he is sure his fellow engineers and conductors will want me to alter their commemorative clocks the same way LOL!  It is much more representative of his career with the railroad and is now something that we will be glad to display in our home.

My final project for this months challenges in our Mixed Media group is to make something from pop tabs.  I've been playing around with a few ideas and will post pictures shortly since the challenge is due at the end of the month.  Hope you are having a creative weekend my friends, I'll be back again soon!

Deb

14 comments:

  1. Hi Deb, your mixed media clock is very clever and creative! Great job. Love the goats, seems like goats are really in these day. These are adorable.

    ~willa~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is an amazing transformation! Looks great now.Why I bet hubby even likes it better :)
    Hugs Marg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb, I love your Billy goats esp. the brown one, they are awesome. And what a talent that you have, the clock is wonderful. it looks so much better, I am amazed at how talented that you are, I know your husband loves it! hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute goats! And the clock-- WOW! What a change! Good thing you yook a before picture. Really amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those goats! Your clock remake it a complete transformation and it's fabulous:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three cheers for that altered clock, you have made a silk purse out of a plastic sows ear. It's now gorgeous.

    No real rain here, but there certainly were odd looking skies last night, the hair was standing up on my neck...electrical.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant! What a fantastic transformation - your husband's colleagues will be lining up their clocks to be made-over now. Your goats are fab. Your friend's going to be so thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how the clock turned out.

    Great alter job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh..lovin' the goats and it sure is amazing what you did to the clock! Great job Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the goats Deb. I bet your customer will love them. ;o) The clock is perfect. Amazing how a challenge can get our creative juices flowing. Hope you're finding spring, somewhere. It's here for sure, but still not very warm, that cold wind off the water...brrrr

    ReplyDelete
  11. WHAT a difference! So much better Deb - way to go! You have so much talent! And you know I love the billy goats! ~*~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the cute goats...I made a goat awhile back and they are a challenge! And what a neat change to the clock. Now you can really enjoy it and hubby will appreciate it, too! What a fabulous idea! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that's what I call a makeover!! LOVE the way you've transformed your husband's clock from something you'd want to hide away to a piece you'd spend ages looking at. Hope this gets displayed proudly now. Thanks so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie and well done on 'taking the plunge' with this. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This clock should be proudly displayed now after you made it so representative of his job with CN (my Mom also worked for them a zillion years ago). I love all the techniques you have used to make it look far better than an ugly red plastic clock. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo