How's that for an eclectic title LOL! But it's what I've been working on lately and my brain was unable to find a catchy connection between goats and a clock so I figured honesty was the best policy :O)
First, here are a couple of custom order goats that I made for one of my Mixed Media Studio friends. She has a lovely farm in the Eastern States and has a wee herd of goats and asked me to make a couple of my billy goat gruff bowl fillers to look like two of her boys.
She sent me pictures of them when they were kids so hopefully I have captured their likenesses. I had to wait to get a new felting needle before I could complete them for her but it finally arrived and they are now off in the mail.
And I finally finished my altered working clock challenge for our Mixed Media Studio group, which I am also linking up to Frilly And Funkie's Time After Time challenge. My hubby received a clock from Canadian National Railway to commemorate 25 years of service awhile back and although it is a lovely, heavy clock it was so darn ugly we never had it out LOL!
They call it a 'rosewood' casing but in reality it was a weird red marbled plastic with bright brass embellishments, not our style at all. I have no idea why I didn't think of altering it before this challenge came up, the thought never even occurred to me! But as soon as the challenge was proposed, my thoughts turned to this clock immediately and my hubby was game to let me have a go at his commemorative clock. So here is the same clock, altered to within an inch of it's life LOL!
I should have taken step by step photographs of the process but I got going on a roll and never even thought about it till now. So here's a description of what I did in case you want to give something similar a try.
I first took it all apart and sanded the plastic casing to give it some tooth. Then I glued on some MDF gears (from Paper Whimsy) and some chipboard pieces that I cut out for the railway crossing signs and the tracks. I then covered everything with a coat of gesso and let it dry overnight. Thanks to Laura Carson of Artfully Musing for her tutorial on adding the chipboard embellishments to create the embossed look, love it! Then it was layer upon layer of acrylic paint to create the grungy aged appearance; I used Americana Burnt Umber, Charcoal and Asphaltum slip slapped here and there to achieve the look.
I couldn't get the clock hands off (I'm sure they are just a pressure fit but I was afraid to pull them too hard in case I wrecked the clock workings) so I took an oil pastel crayon and smudged it onto the white clock face insert and the casing with my finger. I used Burnt Umber again and a touch of black.
I then used some Tim Holtz Adirondack alcohol ink on the brass ring around the clock, on the sweep second hand, on the engraved name plate and on the back plate. It did tone down the brass (I used Latte and Ginger alcohol inks) but it was still a bit too new looking for my liking so I smudged on some Martha Stewart Multi-Surface acrylic paint in Brushed Pewter as well. LOVED that look, so more brushed pewter went onto the gears and onto the rails of the railway tracks and onto the bun feet and edges of the top and bottom pediments. I then defined the railway crossing sign with a dry brush of Americana Sand and then loosely wrote in the words 'Railway Crossing' in a white gel pen so it would look old and worn.
The cover plate on the back was looking way too empty, so I printed out a steam locomotive image that I found on Pinterest and modge podged it onto the brass plate. Fabulous!
Next I painted up a little wooden toy train that I had gotten for my DH several Christmas' ago with Americana Black, Asphaltum and Burnt Umber acrylic paints and then highlighted it with the Martha Stewart Brushed Pewter paint and a little Americana Sand onto the windows. I glued on some metal gears I had in my stash to the wheels for a more industrial look. It got glued onto the top of the clock with some E6000 to make sure it didn't go anywhere!
And finally, I made up an 'All Aboard' sign on my Paint.net program and used a transit ticket image from my Crafty Secrets Typography CD and adhered them to the front of the clock. I've since added a second copy of the images overtop with pop dots to give it a little more dimension and it looks great.
I am thrilled with the final look and my hubby loves it too, which is the most important thing since it is his commemorative clock after all! He said he is going to post a picture of it at work since he is sure his fellow engineers and conductors will want me to alter their commemorative clocks the same way LOL! It is much more representative of his career with the railroad and is now something that we will be glad to display in our home.
My final project for this months challenges in our Mixed Media group is to make something from pop tabs. I've been playing around with a few ideas and will post pictures shortly since the challenge is due at the end of the month. Hope you are having a creative weekend my friends, I'll be back again soon!