Monday, March 10, 2014

Spring Is Springing!


Now isn't that just about the most beautiful site that you've ever seen??!!  It's nearly 15 C and the sun is shining, there is the delightful gurgling sound of water running through the gutters and bird song is filling the air.


The Queen was basking in the sun today, sniffing all the delightful aroma's as the snow begins to melt away and the hint of warming earth fills the air.  We've still a fair bit of snow around as you can see in the background but where the sun can penetrate it is disappearing rapidly.

The birds are singing their hearts out; oh how I love this time of year when the silence of winter is broken by the trills and calls of our feathered friends.  The varied thrushes have arrived in their swooping flocks:


They are so beautiful, aren't they?  When I first spied them yesterday I thought that the robins had returned as they're coloration is similar but soon realized that they were varied thrushes.

But then today, when I was outside with the pups, I heard that distinctive 'tut-tut-tut' call of a robin and soon spied him foraging on a patch of bare grass.  Hooray, the robins are back!


I don't know about you but for me the return of the robins is a true harbinger of Spring.  They may head down into the valley for a few days if we get a cold spell but always hurry back to start courting and building their nests.


Hope that Spring is Springing where ever you may be too and that your robins will soon be bob, bob, bobbing along!

Deb

8 comments:

  1. We haven't quite sprung yet. Getting there, but I haven't seen a robin yet which is late. Gorgeous thrush photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb, it's springing here too. The piles and piles of snow will be melted away soon. The days are stretching longer and of course we've been through Daylight Savings Time this past weekend and seeing some daylight left when I get home from work is delightful!

    Enjoy those warm days.

    ~willa~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray - so glad to hear that you've been sprung at last! Lovely photos. The blackbirds are singing here now every evening; that's my very favourite sign of spring. Hope you and the pups enjoy the new season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pics my friend! So glad that Spring is finally making it's way to you.We are having 70's today and supposed to change to snow showers tomorrow.Hope that you have a wonderful day!Blessings,Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep its springing here too. It was about 65 today and I thought I heard the bluebirds this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deb! Isn't it wonderful to feel some warmth in the sun and just enjoy the birdsong! I know we're happy to see spring! Enjoy your day!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so there with you on Monday (it hit 51 degrees here) and yesterday!! Went outside and my soul was happy! This morning we woke and will get 8-10 inches of snow before it is all over! :(
    Loved your photos -- when the Robins come back we know it won't be long!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woo Hoo! We enjoyed a day of beautiful weather yesterday but today it was gone again :P

    Kendra

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo