Thursday, April 17, 2014

Catching Up ... Again!

Hello everyone, my apologies for being MIA for so long, where oh where does the time go?!  I've been enjoying the Spring weather, hiking with the pups in the hills above our home now that the snow has gone, and working on items for our Handmade Art Fair Mother's Day Celebration on Etsy.  And before I knew it, much to my surprise it was the middle of April already!  Terrifying how quickly the days whirl by.

As I said, our Handmade Art Fair Etsy group is having a celebration for Mother's Day, so I made four new items for the occasion.  Two of them are created in my usual style but I ventured outside the box for the other two items and fed my mixed media muse :O)

First I made this pillow tuck for Mom with a wonderful Art Nouveau etching that I found at The Graphics Fairy.


I've loved this etching ever since I first saw it, it is so lovely.

And next I made some Spring flower bowl fillers, using images by Pierre-Joseph Redoute that I purchased at Dover Pictura.  A wonderful collection of vintage flower and fruit illustrations.


A pretty bowl of Spring flowers for your Mom that will never wilt!

Then I decided to do a couple of mixed media pieces for my other two items.  It was a scary decision to make, I'm comfortable creating my primitive and folk art items but mixed media and altered art is a new creative area that I'm still learning so much about.  But nothing ventured, nothing gained as the saying goes, so away I went!

The first piece features a quote I found on a piece of scrapbooking paper and it felt so right for Mother's Day.


The wonderful vintage image is courtesy of Magic Moonlight Studio and I then embellished the plaque with bits and bobs from my stash.

And the second mixed media piece is also a plaque for Mom but for this one I took a more humerous approach.


The wonderful image of the elderly woman holding the book was a blank ad courtesy of Dover Publications and when I saw her, I knew what I had to write on that book LOL!  I transferred her onto some muslin and then glued it to the artist's canvas with some more embellishments and a cork banner.  Fun to make and I know I will be doing many more of these.

The Handmade Artfair Mother's Day Celebration will be ongoing at Etsy until April 30th, so if you are looking for a gift for your Mom, search HAFMDC on Etsy to finds lots of gift ideas.  My four items are available in my Etsy shop if you are interested in any of them.

So that's all I have to show you today, I've been indulging myself with an art journal video series on YouTube that the very talented and generous Terri Kahrs of Pringle Hill Studio has posted for everyone to view.  Click here to go and take a peek, her use of color is so inspiring and the art journal is a perfect size to start out with if you are new to journaling as I am.  I've viewed all the videos now and have my supplies lined up and ready to go; I'll share some photos as I progress :O)  I also must get cracking on my April ATC's for our Mixed Media Studio group as well as get folding my book for our book sculpture challenge.

I'd also like to wish all who celebrate a very Happy Easter, enjoy the holiday with family and friends and don't eat too many chocolate bunnies :O)  Have a great weekend everyone and happy creating!

Deb

8 comments:

  1. I think you do so wonderful with your mixed media projects. You're as good with them as your prim and folk art.

    Blessed Easter to you and your family too.

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely creations as always, my favorite it the first Mother's Day plaque. I admire your talent. hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  3. No wonder you haven't been blogging! Love the new projects. Your mixed media pieces look great-- like you're an old pro. You might want to add more to your Etsy shop! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deb,
    Yes catching up must be my middle name too!
    Love your newest creations!
    Wishing you a fabulous weekend!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute Deb...you always make the nicest things. And I love your new blog sidebars, vintage all the way.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see that you've been keeping yourself busy, Deb! I LOVE your pillows - especially the one of Mother and Child. I have a soft spot in my heart for those images. You've done such lovely work!!! Thank you for your blog visit and your lovely comments. Thank you too, for sharing my links to the tutorials. You're a sweetheart!!! Hope you have a very Happy Easter!!! Sending HUGE hugs, Terri ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Easter to you too!!

    I love all of your work but the Art Deco pillow is my favourite...absolutely gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks beautiful!

    Happy Easter!
    Kendra

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo