Sunday, April 20, 2014

A Mixed Media Easter


Happy Easter everyone!  Hope you are all enjoying a lovely long weekend with family and friends.  It's a quiet one here, my DH is at work so the pups and I are taking it easy and have been watching curling and the hockey playoffs after our hike this morning :O)

I've also been working away on my swaps and challenges that are coming due for my Mixed Media Studio group.  I completed my two ATC's for this month's swap; we were to create ATC's that were representative of a favorite book or books BUT we couldn't use the title of the book anywhere on the ATC.  At first I thought it would be easy-peasy until I realized that some of my favorite books do not lend themselves very well to pictorial representations of their titles LOL!  I finally ended up perusing my book shelves until I found two books that I figured I could demonstrate graphically.  Now my swap partner has to try and guess what the titles are, hopefully she won't find it too difficult!  I can't show you pictures of them quite yet but will post them after she has had a go at guessing which books I am referencing.

Next, I finished up my book sculpture challenge; we were to alter a book by folding the pages but weren't to cut any of the pages.  Glue was allowed however and here is what I created.


I'm calling it 'Swallows At Sunset' and have to say I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  I was inspired by this photo which I found on Pinterest:


but I soon realized that the inspiration sculpture did have the pages cut, the curled areas have been cut from the rest of the book page.  So I improvised the design and while mine is not as elegant as the inspiration picture I am still quite pleased with it.  I stuck the swallows in between the pages on their wire 'perches' but haven't glued them so I can remove them and change the images for the seasons.  I'm thinking falling leaves in the fall and maybe snowflakes in the winter :O)

And lastly for today, I finished my second drawing on book pages challenge.


I bit the bullet this time and actually drew something LOL!  I was inspired by a video I saw on YouTube by Christy Tomlinson and so 'Queen Bea' was born.  I just posted this picture in our Mixed Media Studio Yahoo group and I see that I am the ONLY person to have signed up for this month's drawing challenge, so I guess Queen Bea will remain with me (we had been drawing a name from all who participated in the challenges and sending our finished pieces to that person).  Or perhaps I will frame her up and gift her to my Aunt Bea, I think she'd get a chuckle out of her :O)

So that's all I have to share with you today, still have one more challenge to finish for this month, an altered light bulb, and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do so hopefully will have pictures to share with you soon.  Enjoy the rest of the long weekend (does everyone get Easter Monday off??) and happy creating!

Deb

11 comments:

  1. Wow! All gorgeous pieces, Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter Deb!
    Wow! I am so amazed by your creativity!
    And Queen Bea is so much fun!
    Have a great holiday!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Easter :) All your pieces are excellent. I have a Pinterest page on paper art. It's really amazing what some artists do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings, Deb,
    I enjoyed catching up with you on your blog...have always enjoyed your posts. Just another idea to create with my mother's vintage books!

    I'm glad to hear you had a good Easter holiday. Have a marvelous Monday. ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  5. No Mondays off around here. Your projects are very fun! Queen Bea is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those book sculptures are great. I think yours is lovely with the swallows. Mine would NEVER turn out as well as yours. That is a great idea to do with old books.

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you have been having some fun for sure! Loooooooooooove your book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure participate in some awesome swaps, your talent amazes me. Hope you had a wonderful Easter. hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so beautiful Deb, I wish I had the patience.

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo