Tuesday, June 10, 2014

And This Is Why You Always Follow The Directions

Afternoon peeps, hope this finds you all well.  I personally have had better days but I have no one to blame but myself for my troubles.  Want to know what's up?  Read on :O(

Remember the coaster photo album that I was working on for my Mixed Media Studio group?  Well it was coming along swimmingly, I was so happy with how it was turning out.


I had decided on a vacation theme so my swap partner could use it for their summer vacay photos and I was incorporating a lot of elements from the 'Destination Adventure' August 2013 Digiscrap Parade and the 'Playful' May 2014 Digiscrap Parade contributors (I have a full list of the designers who's elements I used at the bottom of this post).


The scrapbook papers are from a Recollections 'Tattered and Worn' cardstock paper pack and a Colorbok 'Flea Market' paper pack, I adore both of them, they are so pretty!  I purchased the Recollections pack at Michael's and the Colorbok pack was a Dollar Store score last year I think?


And it was all going sooo well until I finished this page and tried to close the album.  Riippp!  The binding system that we were to use for this challenge/swap let go!


Arghhhhh!  But I have only myself to blame as I made two fatal mistakes.  The coasters I used were ones I was recycling and they are significantly thicker and heavier than the drink coasters you get at bars or restaurants.  The weight of the coasters alone put too much strain on the cardstock hinges and then when I 'overstuffed' the album with my pockets and envies (or envelopes, just found out what that means LOL!), I was sunk.  The only good thing about this, is that I have plenty of time to make another as I was actually getting something completed before the due date for a change :O)

So my hubby has gone 'bar hopping' to get me some PROPER chipboard coasters (he didn't seem to be too upset when I asked him to do that for me :O) and I will start all over again.  Think I will double up the cardstock hinges this time just to be on the safe side and may even give myself a 1/8" bit of play so I can add my embellishments.  Hopefully that will forestall a repeat of this incident, I don't think I could take another disaster.

And now I am trying to come up with a way to rescue this coaster album; I only have one more page and the covers to embellish so I don't want to throw it all away.  I'm thinking I will cut all of the cardstock hinges open and trim them as best I can and then use either ribbon or split rings to make a new binding for it.  Wish me luck!

Hope your day is going a little better than mine and I'll be back when I can to show you the (hopefully!) completed coaster album.  Thanks for stopping by and happy (?!) creating :O)

Deb

Here's the list of designers who's elements I used in the making of this coaster album.  Thank you all for your great designs!

13 comments:

  1. oh no all that work!Wonderful to have such an obliging husband, lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that happened to you. I have done things like that and it almost brings a person to tears. What a sweet hubby to help you out, I am sure it will turn out fine. I love how it looks anyway. hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man! Hate when that happens. I would have been happy to go along with hubby on the bar hop. hee,hee,hee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you had such bad luck. I probably would have cried and not done it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful! Although it may not work for your swap, I'm sure you'll find a clever way to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a gorgeous album, I'm sure you can rescue it with split rings. Good for you in not giving in to trouble LOL Hope you didn't send the hubby out on trouble! Thanks for coming my way...Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snags are inevitable now and then. Using rings is a good idea. Love the papers you chose. Better luck next time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Been there, done that....lol. Not this type of project, but just didn't pay attention and went along my merry way until that fateful moment when my reality hit... Live and learn. Sorry you have that extra work now but just think of the learning curve.. ;o~

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's adorable...and I hope that you manage to salvage it, because it's too pretty to trash.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh well....ooppss happen. :( I am sure it will all turn out ok. Yeah for hubby helping out...gotta love them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love a good challenge like this. You will find a way to salvage the project, and then it can be yours to enjoy. I love the idea ~

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have so many great ideas and I know how frustrating something like this can be...especially at the end of a project. I've been sewing things with pattern pieces and NO directions! That has been interesting! hahaha! Happy weekend my friend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry it all didn't work out as you'd planned - but it sure is purty!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo