This site uses cookies which are used to provide links to social media websites, to analyse traffic and for affiliate links. Through these cookies, the information about your use of this site may also be shared with these social media, analytics and affiliate partners who may combine it with other information that you’ve provided or that they’ve collected from your use of their services. Your continued use of this website,, implies your consent to these cookies. Click here to view my Privacy Policy.

Monday, June 30, 2014

Frustration Blues

Happy Monday everyone!  Hope you all had a great weekend.  I had promised to post pictures of my new creations for our Old Farmhouse Gathering teams 'Anything Goes 2 Celebration' this weekend, but I ran into some road blocks and didn't get that done.  Don't you hate when projects run into unexpected problems that totally destroy your whole schedule?!  More on that later but first, here is a slide show to show you what the OFG team has in store for you on Etsy from now until July 7th.

Search ATG2OFG on Etsy to find lots more items too.

So when I posted last time, I had two items completed for the Celebration and my other two were coming towards completion.  The first item I had made was a bee skep and crow door hanger or ornament from a pattern by Tennessee Ridge Primitives.

Cute little dickens, isn't it?  And the second item was some little pumpkin bowl fillers that I made from some hand dyed muslin.

They are very simple but effective I think and the colour is pale enough that you could put them out now and call them peach bowl fillers LOL!  Both are available in my Etsy shop if you are interested.

I also was working on another ornament and on a mixed media canvas for fall.  The ornie was going very well and so was the canvas ... or so I thought!  I'd worked on this canvas for quite literally days; adding layers and texture and colour ... it was coming along beautifully.

And then, for some inexplicable reason, it started to go all slimy and sticky, like I hadn't dried it at all!  I have no idea what happened; I'd dried each layer thoroughly (or so I thought) before moving on, the gesso and texture paste had had several days to dry before I started to add the colour.  I was using a technique new to me; I put my Tim Holtz Distress Stains into spray bottles and was applying it that way; but I used the same technique on my tunneled book challenge for our Mixed Media Studio group (picture below) and it's dry as a bone!  The only thing I did differently on this canvas was to add a coat of Heidi Swapp Color Shine spray and I think that must be the culprit?  Has anyone else had this happen to them?  I'm new to layering all of these different products so any input will be gratefully received!

So the whole weekend was spent trying to dry out this dang canvas (I'm amazed my heat gun hasn't burnt out yet!) and that's as far as I got with my next two items for the OFG Celebration.  I was so frustrated with the whole situation my creative mojo skedaddled out the back door.  The canvas is  s..l..o..w..l..y getting better, I actually have it outside right now in the sun and wind to try and hasten the process (watch, a bird will poop on it!!) and I am praying that it will dry in time and lose that awful sticky feeling.  I put so much work into it, I don't want to trash it :O(

What I did manage to get finished this weekend was my tunneled book challenge for our Mixed Media Studio and that's only because I had a very clear idea of where I was going with it so it was just a matter of putting it all together.

I love this stanza from the William Blake poem 'The Birds'.   I am going to continue with this altered book and make more pages at the beginning of it but the tunneled portion is complete for the challenge and I'll work on the rest of it over the next while.  It was great fun to do, if you've never tried cutting niches in old books before, give it a try!

So I best get off the computer and see how that $*@&! canvas is doing, wish me luck and I will come on back to show you the finished project if it ever comes to fruition LOL!  To all my Canadian followers, have a wonderful Canada Day tomorrow!  Happy (and hopefully not frustrating) creating everyone :O)



  1. beautiful work!!
    I had that happen to me, the sticky canvas. I had put many layers on, I thought it would never dry , it did but took days, then it always maintained a rather rubbery texture, it was weird,

  2. sorry you're having problems but I've no doubt you will figure it out.

  3. Hmm... I've never tried those type of products on canvas or anything. I just use paint, but I like the way it looks so far. Hope it works out for you. Very cute hive and pumpkins too!

  4. I hope the finish eventually dried. I've had that happen with spray paint on wood and metal; it took a long time to dry but it did in the end. My go-to solution is time in the sun:)


Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately I have had to turn on comment moderation. Your comment will be published as soon as it has been reviewed, thanks so much for your interest in my blog! Deb xo