Friday, June 27, 2014

Happy Birthday Dad!

Hello everyone, hope this finds you well and getting ready for all the celebrations upcoming in the next few days.  Here in Canada we will be celebrating Canada Day on July 1st and for those of you in the U.S., July 4th is just around the corner too.  But I have another thing to celebrate today and that's my Dad's birthday!


I have to tell you that my Dad is one of a kind; he's unfailingly supportive and loving, an amazing husband, father and Poppa, and we are so blessed to have him in our lives.  I love you Dad, hope you are having a wonderful birthday!  xoxoxoxoxo

 Unfortunately I can't be with him today to participate in the celebrations but I did get a gift made for him and sent off which he got yesterday.  I had promised to show you pictures but first I need to tell you the 'back story' behind this creation :O)

My Dad is quite amazed at how I use bits and bobs of recyclables and fabric to make my creations and he and my Mom have started to save some stuff for me that they think I might be able to use.  Dad recently purchased a new pair of Tilley pants and after they were hemmed, he took a look at the material that had been cut off and said to my Mom that he was going to keep it for me as he thought I could maybe use it to make something.  Now, I have to tell you that there wasn't much fabric left after the tailoring and when I first saw the off-cuts I didn't think I'd be able to use it.  But then I became determined to use it as he had saved it for me (and had such faith that I could actually do something with it LOL!) and so decided to make him a birthday gift with it.  But what to make?  I knew that I wanted to name whatever I made him 'Tilly', in homage to his Tilley pants, but was stumped as to what to create.  So I did a Google search for 'Tilly' and found that it was a short form of the name 'Matilda'.  Matilda led me to think of the song 'Waltzing Matilda' and from there, the wheels started to turn and without further ado, meet Tilly the kangaroo!

 
Tilly is a quite the songstress, she is holding the sheet music to 'Waltzing Matilda' in her paws:


And has some more song sheets stashed in her pouch, just in case she gets a song request for some other bush ballads.


The choral connection was not a random choice, my Dad has an amazing voice and sang bass in a community choir and in the church choir for many years, so I sent him the sheet music for 'Waltzing Matilda' too so he could belt out a stanza or two with Tilly :O)


I am, as the Brits say, chuffed at how she turned out and Dad loves her, so that is the best and most important feedback that I could get.  She is a lesson learned that you should never dismiss the possibilities encapsulated within the most mundane things; a snippet of fabric was turned into a gift from the heart for the best Dad in the world :O)

Hope that you all have a wonderful weekend, I will be burning the midnight oil to get my items completed for our Old Farmhouse Gathering team's 'Anything Goes 2 Celebration' on Etsy which will be starting on Monday, June 30th.


I have two items completed (I'll pop in tomorrow or Sunday to share pictures with you) and two more are well on their way.  I also have to finish up my tunneled book for our Mixed Media Studio challenge which also ends on June 30th so I will be a busy girl this weekend.  We will talk again soon, happy creating everyone!

Deb

1 comment:

  1. Tilly is so cute and clever! Love that she is holding mini sheet music-- and has more in storage. Happy Birthday to your dad too!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo