Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Life Is Measured In Moments

Good afternoon everybody, hope this finds you well.  I've been staining up a storm in my studio creating a new mixed media canvas over the last few days which I am linking up with A Vintage Journey's 'Just Stain It' challenge.  I have to admit I don't use my Tim Holtz Distress Stains as much as I should, so this was indeed a challenge for me.  But the end result is so lovely I will be reaching for my distress stains more often from now on!  (The canvas is now available in my Etsy shop if you are interested in it, click here to view my listing.)


This canvas was inspired by several of Tim Holtz's techniques and products.  I colored the background of the canvas and the cardstock I used for the leaves by applying the Distress Stain directly to my craft sheet as Tim demonstrates in his video here and I then sprayed the background here and there using Distress Stain in a mini mister as Tim demonstrates here.  I crackled the Honeycomb die and the Antique Bazaar ribbon die as Tim demonstrated when he made his July tag for 2013 and the addition of the text tag using Tim's hinge clip was inspired by his January tag of 2013.


The flowers are from a newsprint set of paper flowers by Recollections and the ruler fragment is by Maya Road.  The egg charm was one I found in the clearance bin at Michaels (score!) and I added a teeny tiny butterfly brad from Tim Holtz's Custom Fasteners set.  The leaves were cut from cardstock that I colored with Distress Stain using the Sizzix Arbor die.


I backed the honeycomb die with some papers from Tim Holtz's 'Wallflower' paper stash and then added back some of the hexagon cut outs here and there that I had also crackled and coloured with distress stains.


The ruler on the left side was embossed onto Core-dinations cardstock using Tim's 'Rulers' embossing folder and I attached some watch hands to a metal gear with a brad to make a 'clock'.  I created the tag on PicMonkey using their backgrounds and overlays, added the text 'Life Is Measured In Moments' and attached it with one of Tim's hinge clips.


Here's a closeup of the crackle on the die cut, love the texture and the aged patina!


And here you can catch a glimpse of some of the stamping I did on the background of the canvas on top of the Distress Stains, although not much is visible any longer.

Thanks for stopping by to take a look and thanks to A Vintage Journey for inspiring me to create this mixed media canvas.  Off to work on some more projects and I'll be back soon with some more finishes!  Happy creating,

Deb

3 comments:

  1. How interesting! Love that patina effect-- well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beauty is in the details~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness this is wonderful! I love the patina and the contrast with the pale florals and choice of papers. Thank you so much for joining us at A Vintage Journey. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo