Friday, August 15, 2014

Whoos And Boos!

Hello everybody, hope this finds you all well.  It's a cool and overcast day here today, not feeling much like Summer so hopefully it will be short lived.

I've been working on my challenges for our Mixed Media Studio group and got two more finished yesterday.  The first challenge was for the Paper Studio and we were challenged to make owls from toilet paper rolls.  Here is my parliament of owls:


They are too cute!  We were directed to these two YouTube videos for the how-to's:




The second video shows punching some small holes in the owls 'body' and inserting a battery operated votive inside of them, to light them up at night, which I think is very cute.  I am thinking of punching an O, W and L, one letter on each owl, so they will spell the word OWL at night, what do you think?


I 'fringed' their eye discs:


And made their wings different than shown in the video but think they turned out great.  I'm not a big fan of 'googly eyes' so opted for a simple punched cardstock circle instead.

And the second challenge I completed was the August 'I Dare You' challenge where we were to alter an egg, any kind of egg in any way that we chose.  We are also doing a Mystery challenge which is going to be spooky (all I really know about it so far!) so I decided to make my egg 'spooky' so I could maybe add it to the Mystery project.  Here is my Skelly Egg :O)


I started out with a plastic egg from the Dollar Store and then covered it with torn strips of white tissue paper and Modge Podge.  The egg was orange when I started so I ended up painting it white after it was covered as some of the orange colour was still peeking through here and there.


I then painted his features with black paint and voila, a Skelly Egg!  If I don't use him on the Mystery challenge project I'll probably make him so buddies and put them into a bowl for Halloween :O)

So that's two more down, only three more projects to go for this quarter.  I am going to work on the hand lettered ATC's today and then finish my altered bird doll over the next few days.  I'll be back with more pics as I get stuff finished so will see you then.  Happy creating everyone!

Deb

11 comments:

  1. Is there no end to your craftiness? Hope not!! Everything is fab!! O-W-L lit up would definitely be unique and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Deb those are Owl-dorable....sorry couldn't resist.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely LOVE your version of the owls. I am like you, not a fan of the googly eyes. I do love yours and will have to make some owls now. hugs, Patty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your owls and I think your idea of putting one letter on the front of each is great. I don't like goggle eyes much either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you owls, love your creativity. Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always so inspired when I visit here Deb. Love your owls and your choice of patterns! The colorful ones are interesting too - thanks for sharing! ~*~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. L O V E those owls Deb!! I think the punched O W L in them would be cool! So talented!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are just tooo cute!! I love them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. now those owls are just too cool and I think I could even handle making them. lol

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo