Friday, August 1, 2014

Work It Wednesday On A Friday

Happy Friday everyone!  Hope you have all had a great week.  It's the start of a long weekend here in British Columbia so everyone has hit the road in their campers and trailers, which means it's a good time to stay at home!  We don't have anything planned as my DH has to work, so we will just enjoy the sunshine and lovely warm temperatures in our own backyard.

I had mentioned in my last post that I was working on some other challenges and today I finished a card for the Simon Says Stamp 'Work It Wednesday' challenge, where we were challenged to use the colour blue.  To me, the colour blue brings to mind cold and cold means winter and winter means Christmas ... so I made a blue Christmas card!


I had already embossed the background of this card with the Simon Says Stamp Snowflake stencil, using a white sparkle embossing powder, so I rubbed over top of the embossed pattern with some Broken China Distress Ink to get the blue theme started.


I took a look through my Christmas images and found this blue Belsnickle Santa image that I had downloaded from The Graphics Fairy.  I cut him out but he was looking lost against the background, so I coloured some cardstock with Faded Jeans and Salty Ocean DI's and mounted the Santa image onto it.  I added a little Recollections Peacock glitter glue onto his hat and sleeves for some sparkle and then mounted him onto the card with pop dots.


I stamped a Craftsmart snowflake stamp onto cardstock, using a Tsukineko embossing pen in Indigo Blue and then added some Stampendous Crystal Snow to the image.  You can't see it in the picture but it does have a nice shimmer to it.  I then cut it out, distressed the edges with Faded Jeans DI and mounted it onto the card using pop dots again.


I added the word 'Merry' (font is Algerian) inside this vintage frame image that I got at The Graphics Fairy and tinted the whole image slightly blue using my free Paint.net program, then printed it out and glued it on after distressing the edges with a little Broken China DI.  As a finishing touch, I added a couple of Recollections Adhesive Glitter Shapes snowflakes to two of the corners and darkened the edges of the card with some more Faded Jeans DI.

Thanks for stopping by to take a peek and hope this blue Christmas card has cooled you down a bit if it's feeling warm in your neck of the woods!  Have a great weekend and happy creating!

Deb

8 comments:

  1. Actually not very warm here for the First of Aug. Cute card. Really like the way you did "Merry."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Friday and Happy August! Christmas will be here again before we know it!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really lovely, and just right for us here Downunder as it is cold, cold in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deb, I love your card, If I had a beautiful card like that I would have to frame it, Love your talent. hugs Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for bringing some coolness to my day with your pretty blue card. Not a warm weather person AT ALL. Glad to see I'm not the only one working on Christmassy things too, I don't feel so alone now. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually I wouldn't mind a bit of cool air right now....love your card:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I missed your Happy Friday so I hope you have a Happy week! Very pretty card...I love the colors of blue! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recognize the snowflake stamp - a while back a friend gave me a card with that on the envelope. I thought it was lovely and held onto it for a long time. That friend is very creative and makes envelopes out of calendar pages, which I keep thinking I will learn to do.

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo