Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Baby It's Cold Outside

Hi-de-ho everyone, hope you had a lovely long weekend.  I am in denial big time that it is now September and that fall is on it's way, but the weather here is conspiring to bring me back to reality.  It's been raining cats and dogs and the thermometer stubbornly refused to budge above 10 C (about 50 F) yesterday. Cold, wet and grey ... not my idea of early September weather; it's feeling more like November around here which is not boding well for our camping trip!

What that kind of weather does get me in the mood for though is the upcoming holiday season; as much as we might hate to admit it, it will be here before we know it.  So yesterday, as the rain fell and the wood stove crackled (yes, I lit the stove, I was freezing!), I made some .. gasp .. Christmas ornaments!


I've been saving used canning lids, it seems such a waste to through them out, and I have quite a pile accumulating.  I've used them to make primitive rusty labels on some of my past projects (here and here) but as I tossed another one into my stash yesterday I decided I needed to find another way to utilize them.  So I grabbed a hammer and smashed the heck out of a couple of them, front and back, to 'straighten' them out a bit, painted them with some brown acrylic paint, modge podged a Christmas image on the front, sprinkled them with mica flakes and backed them with a peice of felted aged wool.  Ta-da!  Christmas ornaments :O)


I stamped a sentiment onto a punched parchment paper circle and embossed a holly leaves image for the one above.  Simple but effective I think and they made up quite quickly, the longest waiting times were for the modge podge and the glue adhering the felt to dry.  I think I'll make up some Hallowe'en ornies as well and maybe back them with black felt.

And speaking of Hallowe'en, I made a collage yesterday with PicMonkey and my Paint.net program and I'd like to share it with all of you.  Download it and use it as you'd like, it is currently 9" square at 300 dpi but feel free to resize it for your needs.


To make sure you get the full sized image, right click on the image above, then right click it again and choose 'View image'.  Click on the image again to make sure you have the full size picture (you'll see a little plus sign) and then right click and choose 'Save Image As'.  Save it to your computer and then resize it if you like with your picture editing program or you can go to PicMonkey and resize it there.  If you are having problems downloading it from Blogger, click here to download it from my Box.net account.  All I ask is that you don't distribute or claim this file or image as your own, other than that have some spooky fun kids!

I've some other Hallowe'en projects in the works, so if I get them done before we leave on holidays I'll pop in to show you (that's assuming we get away on holidays and that it doesn't snow, did you see the weather in Claresholm, Alberta this morning??!!).  Have a great day everyone and think warm :O)

Deb

5 comments:

  1. You crack me up Deb...wam, bam, ta-daaa! Just like that you made these awesome ornaments - LOVE them! Love the pinking around the edge. Awesome graphic too! Hope you can get away and have good weather ~*~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those ornaments are great! Love the vintage style. Love your Halloween picture too-- how nice of you to share it. By the way, I can't believe you're only in the 40s! I haven't seen anything under 80 in a long time around here! And we're supposed to hit 90 today! Ugh-- that is unusual but not unheard of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea for jar lids Deb. You are the woman. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you are talking about....fall is definitely here up north. Weather is getting chilly and rainy. Love the ornaments! I am getting in my sewing room working on fall creations....haven't faced up to Christmas yet. LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. we've still got some pretty warm weather here but I know that the cold stuff will be coming all too soon.
    I absolutely LOVE these ornaments. What a neat idea

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo