Monday, October 20, 2014

Of Fan Blades And Christmas Gifts

Happy Monday everyone (that's not an oxymoron is it?!).  Hope you had a great weekend.  I worked on some projects for our Mixed Media Studio group this weekend and got a couple completed.


This is my Friendship Fan Blade for October, we are swapping these fan blades and will eventually put all the blades that we receive together to make a friendship fan.  You can see the one I made for September in this post here.  For the October fan blade, I wanted to evoke a feeling of fall and harvest so I used these beautiful 'French Country' papers from Graphics 45 (it's a retired pattern unfortunately).  I embellished it with some copper glitter glue, smoky quartz 'crystals' and a sunflower sticker.  The backside has a complementary paper on it which I've embellished with a strip of black Dresden trim.  Because the fan will have to fold up, we aren't embellishing the backs of the blades but hopefully the Dresden trim will give it a little bit of interest.

We have also been challenged to create a small Christmas gift each week to help get prepared for the upcoming holiday season.  I am particularly liking this challenge because each and every year I say that I will get organized and prepare for the holidays and each and every year I end up running around like a chicken with my head cut off at the last minute, yelling "I'm not ready!!".  The gifts we are to make each week are just little tokens to say 'I'm thinking of you' to give to family, friends or acquaintances.  This week, I made three little nesting gift boxes that have a special surprise inside.


 The boxes were made with three different Christmas cardstock papers using a template by WendyBird Designs.  I then made twelve little Christmas hang tags and hid them in the smallest box.


 The tags were a freebie from Call Me Victorian and I shrunk them down so they'd fit inside the small star gift box and added a tie made from pearl cotton.  So someone will be getting this little handmade Christmas gift wrapping set this year, I wonder who it will be? ;O)  I'm just tickled pink to be able to say that I have already started on my Christmas gifts and it's only October!

 I'm just about finished my last new item for our Old Farmhouse Gathering team's 'Brrrrr It's Cold' celebration that will be starting on Etsy on October 27th.  It's baking in the oven as I type so I best get off this computer and go check to make sure I'm not burning it!  I'll be back soon to show you what's cooking so stay tuned and have a fun and creative day!

Deb

8 comments:

  1. Hi Deb! I just wanted to thank you for your sweet message on my blog. I see that you are busy crafting lots of niceties. That's great!
    Take care of yourself, Arlette

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be one of the most productive crafters out there! I'm always in awe! Great colors on the fan blade. And those boxes do not look handmade at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with Diane you are a very productive crafter. I'm more of the procrastinating variety :)
    I like those nesting boxes and what a great idea to put the tags in the smallest

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful fan blade I love those sunflowers, gorgeous box set and tags
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. you always have such beautiful things to show us, my gosh I love what you do,!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything you make is always beautiful...but those star boxes and tags...delightful.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you were busy again. I love the little star boxes. Great for Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous wee boxes - they would make a lovely present just on their own!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo