Thursday, October 23, 2014

We Are Not Afraid

My country, Canada, is mourning the loss of two brave Canadian servicemen who were recently murdered in cold blood here in Canada.  Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent of St. Jean Sur Richelieu, Quebec was cowardly run down in a parking lot and Corporal Nathan Cirillo was ambushed as he stood unarmed guard at our National War Monument in Ottawa, Ontario.

We will not forget them, we will honour their memories and we thank them with all our hearts for their unfailing duty to our country.  With my most heartfelt condolences I send my deepest sympathies to their families who are struggling to understand how it is that their loved ones were killed here, at home, on Canadian soil.

Despite what the cowards who murdered these brave men would like to think, we will not be cowed, we will not be afraid and we will not stop standing with the world to defeat them.  Their actions have strengthened our resolve, not weakened it.

I will, with pride and thanks, attend my local cenotaph on November 11th to remember and honour those who have given their lives in the defense of democracy and freedom.  I hope that you will all do the same and that you too, will not be afraid.

13 comments:

  1. I am sorry for this tragedy happening in your country. Our country knows how you feel. My prayers are with the family of the fallen heroes of this tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for their families and healing for your Country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What happened in your country is adding to how I feel about this world of ours. With millions of others, I am praying with all my strenght for a time when there will be no more suffering, hatred, violence, ... A time when humans will know real peace, a time when peace will fill the entire Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find myself not so much afraid but angry. Angry that this tragedy should have happened at all, angry that the systems in place deal to lightly with these kinds of cowards. Angry that young men have lost their lives.
    Yes, this November 11th, my family will
    Remember as we do every year, the brave men and women that serve our nation and have fallen for our nation.True heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watched this on the news last night Deb, maddening it is. God bless the families and friends they leave behind. ~*~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. blessings and hugs to you and your countrymen in this time of hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was such sad and tragic news.I was shocked and saddened. My heart goes out to the families and friends of these young men - and to the people of Canada. We must not let these cowards and murderers win.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending prayers for the families. Such a senseless tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We live in a world where no where is safe. I was shocked...but we have to realize no country is safe anymore. My heart goes out to the families....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having lived through 9/11, with silent skies with the exception of fighter planes and a battleship off the shore of our popular beach. I know exactly how you feel and as your neighbor I also mourn your loss and share your strength. To be afraid is to let them win, that's not an option for either of our countries.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderfully written Deb. We are shaken daily by the goings-on around the world and it is shocking for it to happen to us in Canada. My heart is with the families of this tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully written. My thoughts are with the neighbors to the north.

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo