Saturday, November 15, 2014

A Little Christmas Bling

Hello everyone, apologies (again!) for not posting lately but to be honest, I haven't had a darn thing to show you!  I've been struggling with my current projects and had to set them aside for a time ... it was either that or chuck them out LOL!   I don't know about you, but when I get frustrated with a project I have to just walk away for awhile and then (hopefully) come back refreshed and ready to tackle it again.  So in the interim I've been working on some mixed media Christmas ornaments.

These first two ornaments were inspired by Nancy Maxwell James' 'Very Vintage Christmas' tutorials that she so generously shared with us last December.  This first ornament I made is a pretty faithful rendition of her 'Silver Holly Bunting Ornament'.


The background typography is courtesy of Magic Moonlight Studio as is the child's image, isn't she lovely?  The holly is from The Graphics Fairy; I changed it into a sepia image and then covered it with Pumice Stone distress glitter and some stick-on 'jewels'.  Nancy had added lovely mother of pearl buttons to her banner but since I didn't have any, I used ordinary white buttons and added some of the 'jewel' stick-ons to them.  A little silver Stickles was added around the child's image and to the edge of the banner and then I used a silver tinsel stem for a hanger.  Tea Stain distress ink was used to age all of the images before combining them, love it!

The second ornament was inspired by Nancy's 'Merry Little Christmas Tag'.


I changed it up a bit from Nancy's idea by adding mine onto a chipboard backing covered with an image from the Crafty Secrets 'Vintage Christmas' CD.  I then added the tree tag (courtesy of The Graphics Fairy) that had a piece of aged and stained muslin tied onto it.  The vintage sheet music star, courtesy of Call Me Victorian, was added next and I then layered on a vintage 'Christmas Spices' label made by Lynne Farr.  I distressed the label by tearing the edge and curling up the corners.  The little angel from my image stash was cut out using a Spellbinders 'Nestabilities' Label die and I covered the embossed edge of the image with silver Stickles.  The merry little Christmas ticket, courtesy of Miss Cutie Pie, was added next and then some Tim Holtz Ideaology 'Mirrored Stars' were added for a little more bling.  Everything has been edged with the Tea Stain distress ink again, since I can leave nothing undistressed!

And the final ornament I made came as a result of combing through my image stash.  As I searched for images to make the first two ornaments, I re-discovered images and templates that I had totally forgotten about.  Sad but true!  So here's a little matchbox ornament that I made, I think it is adorable!


I used the same typography image from Magic Moonlight Studio that I used in the first ornament, to make this tiny little matchbox using a template courtesy of Mirkwood Designs.  I then cut out a hole in the cover of the matchbox and mounted this adorable little Christmas fox image (courtesy of Lia Griffith) inside the matchbox.  I mounted the fox on a piece of fun foam to give it some dimension and covered the inside of the matchbox bottom with some vintage sheet music, courtesy of Altered Artifacts.  A tiny little TH Mirrored Star was glued onto the fox and I edged the opening with more silver Stickles.  I am obviously going to have to go through my image stashes more often because I love how this little cutie turned out!  I'm linking these Christmas ornaments with The Mirror Crack'd Challenge #3, Christmas Decorations.

So now I will hopefully be able to get back to my current projects for our Mixed Media Studio group, the 'What Do You See' pattern doll is slowly coming along:


I've stalled when it comes to dressing her though, the shape is making it most difficult!  But she is for a swap so I must get back to work as we've already been granted a week extension on mailing our creations and that new deadline is fast approaching.   Wish me luck!!

I will be back soon with a new post as I've been tagged by the oh so talented Jules of Needle and Pen in a Round The World blog hop.  We are to write of our work and creative process, so after I put my thinking cap on and try to come up with something intelligent, I will be back LOL!  I am to tag another artisan or two in my post, so if you'd be interested in joining this blog hop, please let me know so I can send folks on to your site.  Just leave a comment that you'd like to join in or send me an email (my email link is near the top on the right sidebar) and I'll be glad to tag you next :O)

Have a lovely weekend everyone and happy creating!

Deb

16 comments:

  1. Debs these are all so gorgeous I love them
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of them are lovely, but the matchbox fox is super cute!! Fun idea too! Good luck with all your projects-- and your blog hop post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such wonderful ornaments. I love them all

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're all so beautiful, Deb. Love the matchbox ornament, something I'll have to try. Looking forward to seeing how you dress your doll, she's sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes these would be great tree ornaments for a victorian tree

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful ornaments
    and

    thank you for stopping by ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. So lovely ornament! Thank you for sharing it with us at The Mirror Crack'd challenge

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely projects:0) thanks for joining the mm challenge at TMC!
    grtz Jolanda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Deb, I love the ornaments, such great ideas. Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an array of pretty things! Foxy and the doll have to be my favourite though - can't wait to see how you costume her. Thank so much for the lovely mention.x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Deb! All the things you make with your hands are so pretty.
    I'm sure you are going to tackle all your projects with great success.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your little ornaments. I am inspired to create some for my girlfriends who are far away. They are perfect little ornaments for including in a christmas card!!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Therese
    www.tmalakart.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I love all of your ornies, you are just so clever and talented.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty Christmas ornaments.
    Thanks for joining in the challenge at The Mirror Crack'd and good luck.
    Angela R. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely ornaments . I specially love the angel face doll

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are so beautiful, love the little angel ones and the fox is so cute! The other angel looks amazing to!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo