Sunday, November 23, 2014

Finding Joy In The First Snow

Happy Sunday everyone, hope you are having a fine weekend.  It's a little grey here today but the ground is white as we had our first snow a couple of days ago, yippee!


What is it about the first snow of the season that inspires such joy?  The same snowfall in January or February will be eliciting mumbles and grumbles but two nights ago I was standing outside in the dark, face upturned to the midnight sky and giggling like a school girl as the snowflakes melted on my eyelids.  Perhaps I was inspired by Jen over at Muddy Boot Dreams, who has challenged us to Find Joy In The Ordinary, especially now as the dark days of winter start to descend.  She's set up a Pinterest board and a Facebook page and I hope you'll maybe follow along or join in the fun as we all strive to #FindJoy in the everyday.

In between trying to catch snowflakes on my tongue ;O), I've been working on some projects for our Mixed Media Studio and starting on some Christmas handmades for gift giving this year.  I did finish the What Do You See pattern doll I was working on (a sneak peek was shared here) but  I can't show you my finish quite yet since my swap partner hasn't received it.  I did complete and mail an ornament for our ornament swap:


We were to make a flat ornament for easy mailing and I hope my secret swap partner will like this one.  I used vintage images from my stash, a chipboard swirl covered with Pumice Stone distress glitter and a new Idea-ology embellishment that I just purchased, Fragment Charms.  They are clear acrylic charms that you can mount any image that you like inside, love!  I also made my partner a Christmas card that was inspired by one I saw on Pinterest:


The original card had strips of torn vellum behind the bird and branch but, as I didn't have any, I used some wax paper to which I added some dots of glitter glue.  I also added the 'Fa la la' stamp for a little whimsy :O)

I completed the November I Dare You challenge too, we were to alter some puzzle pieces.  I decided to make some puzzle piece charms that I will add to a future mixed media project:


Once again, Pinterest was my inspiration (what in the heck did we all do before Pinterest?!) and these are fun and addictive to make.  I covered the puzzle pieces in fragments of scrapbook paper, distressed the edges and then added a small embellie to the center plus some dangling beads or charms.  They'd make lovely earrings or necklaces too, don't you think?

So that's it for now, I've other projects in the works but they are either half done or are gifts for folks who read my blog so I can't share them with you quite yet.  I'll leave you with another picture that I took before the snow fell here, we'd been having some very cold days and the frost was lying thick in the fields.  It was another day that I was able to #FindJoyInTheOrdinary, hope you will find some too!


Deb

5 comments:

  1. Great post, Deb! The first snow is always magical! Thanks for sharing yours with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still waiting for our first snow. We are to have some on Thanksgiving Eve. I hope so I get excited too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snow, frost and all things cold sure are pretty but for me it's much easier to find the joy in them if I only see them in pictures :)
    Our snow has all melted and now it's raining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work as always. I really love the flat ornament:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures, Deb! When the first snow comes, I always feel like a little girl ;)

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo