Thursday, November 20, 2014

World Blog Hop

Hello everyone, as I mentioned in my last post, the very talented Jules of Needle and Pen tagged me in the World Blog Hop that she was participating in.  Thanks so much for the tag Jules and here is my contribution to this fun hop!

Question One: What am I working on?

With the Christmas season just around the corner, Christmas projects have been top of my list for the last month or so.  I've made primitive projects like this Christmas crow door hanger:


and also mixed media ornaments and small Christmas gifts, like this upcycled canning lid Christmas ornament:


Halloween and Christmas are my favourite holidays to create for.

Question Two: How does my work differ from others of it's genre?

I pondered long and hard on this question, what is it that makes my work unique?


I don't know that I have a definitive answer, other than to say that we ALL put our own stamp on every thing that we create.  I make crafting patterns as well as finished products:


and it has always fascinated me that the items folks make from my patterns are all different.  It's the same pattern, the same directions, yet each and every creation is distinctive to it's maker.  So perhaps the answer to that question is that there is a part of me that goes into each item I make, and it is something that no one else can ever duplicate, no matter how hard they try.

Question Three: Why do I create what I do?

I create what I do because I can't NOT create LOL!  Every waking moment (and often in the middle of the night!) my mind is whirling with possibilities and ideas and I feel a compulsion to bring my imaginings into the light.


I've recently discovered the world of mixed media through a wonderful online group called the Mixed Media Studio and the creative possibilities are now truly endless.

Question Four:  How does my creating process work?

My inspirations come from just about everywhere; Mother Nature is one of my favourite muses


and viewing the work of all the amazing and talented artisans on the internet will always get my creative juices flowing.  My process is very unstructured, I will have an idea and immediately start to put pencil to paper to draw up a quick pattern or will simply gather elements and supplies and lay them out (everywhere!) as I start to construct my idea.  If I get stalled, I will often make word lists and try and combine them in unusual and unexpected ways to spark an inspiration.


So that's my contribution to the blog hop, thanks again to Jules for tagging me and letting me share a little about myself.

Now I'd like to direct you on to Romona at Northbrook Designs.  Romona is a fellow Canadian and an extraordinary doll maker, her creations are amazing and magical.  Hop on over to her blog to learn more about this talented and lovely artisan.

I'd love to tag YOUR blog too, so please, if you are interested in participating in this blog hop, let me know in your comment or send me an email (the link is on the right side bar near the top) and I will be happy to direct folks your way.  Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by today and happy creating!

Deb

8 comments:

  1. Hi Deb! You are an inspiration too and your creations are unique and special!
    I adore that wee fox!
    Best wishes for lots more happy hours of creating!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. such beautiful work you do too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your work is beautiful Deb. I love the little snowman family in the last image.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! Very nice post. BTW, I love the way you arranged the snowmen in the cheese box. Celver and charming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous post Deb. You always make everything you do extra special:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, that is a fab post - as I knew it would be! I so enjoyed hearing how your muse and processes work Deb. And how funny - I often write lists of words too!
    Hope someone signs up, and joins us on this lovely tour soon.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed reading your answers and I loved how you answered the one about what makes your items unique. I really like the crow door hanger.

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo