Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Countdown Is On

Good morning everyone, hope you are warm and cozy where ever you may be.  The Arctic air has moved in with a vengeance here and it was -25C (about -13F) when we woke up this morning.  The trees are cracking with the cold, a rather unnerving sound!  Needless to say the walk with the pups was short and sweet today as everyone was freezing to death.  Fortunately it is not going to last too long and we will be back to seasonal temperatures in a day or two.  The snow I love, the way below freezing temperatures not so much!

I finished up a couple of projects for our Mixed Media Studio group yesterday, talk about leaving things to the last minute!  They are all due by the end of the month and as it is the 30th today, I just managed to squeak them in under the wire.  The first one I finished was an altered domino for the December 'I Dare You' challenge.


With Valentine's Day just around the corner ( I know, I know, it's not even the New Year and I'm already talking about Valentine's Day!) I decided to make a 'Key To My Heart' altered domino charm.  I covered the domino with a blue hydrangea paper napkin, then adhered some iridescent hearts and a little key.  I then wrapped the domino with some copper coloured wire and twisted the wire to make a hanging loop.  The back of the domino is also covered with the napkin and has some more hearts on it.  It would make a pretty necklace so that is what I might end up doing with it, I just have to find a copper colored chain to suspend it on.  On the other hand, it may make an appearance in a future mixed media piece ... we shall see!

The second project that I completed was a fan blade for our Friendship Fan Blade swap.  I wanted the December blade to evoke Christmas but didn't want it too blatant so stuck to the colours of red, green and silver.  What do you think?


The bird was one that I received in our die cut exchange that we did a few months ago and it is covered in silver foil, love it!  I die cut the 'branch' he is standing on using the Sizzlits 'Decorative Flourishes' die from some green pattered paper and then used some green 'gems' to embellish the top edge of the blade and added some 'rhinestone' gems just under them.  On the back of the blade, I added some dots of silver Stickles below the green gem border and then adhered a silver embossed fragment of a Sizzix Antique Bazaar Ribbon die along with a piece of silver coloured rick rack.

I have one more project to complete for this year and then I will be done.  We were to make a 'Winter Frost' doll as a fourth quarter challenge and initially I was going to make a conventional cloth doll along that theme but then decided to embrace the 'mixed media' aspect and have come up with something a little different.  It is in it's finishing stages and so I will take pictures tomorrow and post them then, stay tuned!

Did you see who won the Alpha Stamps giveaways the last couple of days?!  Kathie of Beyond The Storybook won on the 28th and Diane of Lavender Dreams won yesterday, congratulations ladies!  Todays giveaway over at Alpha Stamps is for a 'Serenity' kit full of beautiful papers and lovely exotic faces, click here or click the button below to head on over and hopefully one of you (or me!) will be as lucky as Kathie and Diane LOL!


Have a great day everyone and I will see you tomorrow with my last project of 2014, can you believe that this year is nearly over?!  Time flies when you are having fun and I do have to say that I have had a ton of fun this year with my lovely Mixed Media Studio group and all our wonderful projects.  Can't wait to start our first quarter in 2015, I wonder what Miss Kathie, Miss Cherie and Miss Robyn will have up their sleeves for us this coming year?  Why don't you come on over and join in the fun with us, we'd love to have you!  Till tomorrow my friends,

Deb

4 comments:

  1. Keep creating all those lovely items and don't let the fact that you leave it to the last minute bother you too much since it doesn't prevent you for being creative.
    Take care!
    Arlette

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make some of the most beautiful creations and I'm always wanting to learn something new when I see what you are doing. I was going to ask you if you saw that I had won....but you did! I am so excited! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure do come up with some lovely creations. I really like the altered domino. My craft supplies have been calling for me to come play with them but I just haven't had the ambition to answer them.

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo