Saturday, January 10, 2015

A 'New' Challenge At SPA

Good Saturday morning!  Hope this finds you all well and having a relaxing weekend.  It's lovely and warm here (for January in Canada that is!) and we've managed to tramp down paths through the snow so the pups can get around the yard.

I am doing something new today, my friend Diane of Lydia's Post has been joining in the Sunday Postcard Art (SPA) challenges for awhile and I've decided to join in the fun.  The latest theme at SPA is 'New':


'This week our theme/prompt is the word NEW ~ this can be the word new, new beginnings, new year or new craft stash, maybe a new stamp or digi kit. Be sure to tell us what you choose as the ‘new’ bit of your creation. Please keep your postcards 6 x 4″ in size.'


I started out to make a New Year's postcard but as I pulled stuff out of my stash it morphed into a Valentine's Day postcard, so that's what I ended up making.  The new elements in my postcard were using corrugated cardboard in my composition (believe it or not, I've never used it before!) and I also used a new heart background stencil and some new ombre paper flowers that I scored at Michael's two days ago.


I started out with a piece of 4" x 6" chipboard and glued a torn piece of the corrugated cardboard to it on the left hand side. I slip slapped it all with some white gesso and once that was dry, applied Wendy Vecchi crackled texture paste through the heart stencil on the right and also smeared a little over the corrugated cardboard.



Next, I applied two shades of pink to the postcard with some distress ink minis (Spun Sugar and Victorian Velvet).


There was still some white gesso showing in the grooves of the corrugated cardboard, so I then sprayed the card with some Picked Raspberry distress stain and wiped it back a bit here and there with a baby wipe.  It was also at this time that I got on a roll and forgot to take more pictures, sorry!!  I edged the card with vintage photo distress ink and darkened it here and there with some walnut and then also lightly swiped the walnut over top of the whole card to bring out the crackle in the hearts.


Embellishing came next; some stamping first with black archival ink using elements from a Tattered Angels 'Timeless Romance' stamp set and a winged heart from a Clear Stamps 'Forever In Time Hearts Medley' stamp set.  I then scuffed up a chipboard element from a Recollections 'Embellishments' card set, edged it with vintage photo distress ink, glued on the red heart 'crystal' and applied it overtop of the cardboard.  I aged a key from my stash with some alcohol ink and did the same to a little engraved heart charm and then joined them together with a fragment of chain and a jump ring.  The key was glued to the postcard with some E6000 and the heart was left to dangle freely.


Next I colored a Maya Road decorative scroll chipboard fleur-de-lis with picked raspberry distress ink and then covered it all with Tim Holtz Pumice Stone distress embossing powder and adhered it over the crackled stenciled hearts.  A little heart bead, wrapped in wire, was attached with a jump ring through a rivet to the top right corner so that it hung over the word 'heart' in the stamped sentiment.  A couple of the ombre paper flowers were glued into place and it was done.


I am loving Wendy Vecchi's crackle paste, such fine cracks that look like porcelain and it is so smooth and easy to apply.

Thanks to SPA for a fun challenge and I am looking forward to joining into future challenges, I really enjoyed working with the postcard format, it's a great size.  Thanks too to Diane for directing me to SPA's blog :O)


Thanks for stopping by today and have a great weekend.  I have to get cracking on some new items for my Etsy shop so hopefully I will have some new makes to share with you in a couple of days.  Talk again soon,

Deb

15 comments:

  1. Amazing what you can do with a bunch of diverse pieces! It is truly a work of art! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I know that Diane! Thanks for the mention. Your card is wonderful! What a lovely first entry!! Love the colors. Really like your new blog design too. Great for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that Diane, too! heehee! Love this beautiful card....makes me want to get my card making things out. Have a fun weekend! Hugs!

      Delete
  3. this is a wonderful postcard. welcome to sunday postcard art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I love this, that key is great
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kevin! The key was an old one I had in my stash and I just coloured it with some alcohol inks. Thanks for visiting and commenting! Deb

      Delete
  5. This is just beautiful. I like hearing all the steps you took to get to the finished card

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love this!! What a great way to put a post card together! The addition o the corrugated card (and the way you treated it) looks fabulous, and I adore all the other textural elements you added, great design, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely, Deb. I especially like the key, and I love seeing all the steps. I came across some recipes recently for home made texture paste and I thought of you. Have you tried making it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Deb, this is so pretty with amazing crackles on your hearts. I love corrugated card, it always gives such fab results and is perfect on your project.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you had lots of good stuff in your "stash". The card turned out really pretty. Love you new blog background too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo