Friday, January 23, 2015

Cupid Is A Little Grumpy

Happy Friday everyone, hope you've all had a good week.  It's raining here today of all things; practically unheard of for it to be raining in our neck of the woods in January.  They are forecasting temperatures to get even warmer over the weekend too.  Crazy weather, but I guess that crazy is the new normal?

I've been making new Valentine's Day items for my Etsy shop and came across a Tennessee Ridge Primitive pattern in my stash for a primitive cupid ornie.  I decided to make her and everything was going along swimmingly until I started to paint her features - and in deference to TRP, adding her features was MY idea, if I'd stuck to the pattern as described everything would have been fine!  I drew her eyes and started to paint .... she was looking a little evil - more demon than cupid - so I painted some more ... and some more ... and some more ...  Eventually I had done all I could and while she doesn't look evil anymore, she does look decidedly grumpy!


'I dare you to try and take this heart for your sweetheart, I double dog dare you!'


I showed her to my DH and initially he said 'Oh that's cute!' and then he kind of hesitated and I asked 'Cute or scary?' and he said 'Well, now that you mention it ...'  Oh well, you win some, you lose some; she will stay here with us and flutter about grumpily.  Actually, I'm kind of getting to like her; who says cupids have to be all sweetness and light all of the time?!

On a more positive note, I made a couple of hang tags to send along with some Mixed Media Studio swaps I was mailing out.  First I made this 'Journey' tag to send along with the fan blade swap.  I am also linking this tag up with Order of the Opus Gluei's 'Anything But A Card' challenge.


I love the sentiment on this tag, it is from a new (to me) Stampers Anonymous Classics #16 stamp set I just bought (yes, another sale item, this one from Funkie Junkie Boutique :O).  The background of the tag was coloured with various distress inks and perfect pearls (it was a mop up tag that was in my stash) and the tricycle stamp is from a Forever In Time 'Old Fashioned' clear stamp set.  The plane and 'be true' sentiment are Tim Holtz Idea-ology Remnant Rubs and the vintage picture of Big Ben was one I had printed out ages ago for another project.

The remnant rubs are driving me quite mad since they keep sticking to the cardboard backing in the packaging.  Anyone have any brilliant insights as to how to keep that from happening?  It kind of defeats the purpose of having a rub on when it's already attached to the backing paper! 

The second tag was made to send out with the February banner swap and since the banner was Valentine themed, I made a 'Valentine XOXO' tag to go with it. And as the tag has hearts aplenty on it, I am linking it up with Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge blog's 'Have A Heart' challenge.


The tag background was coloured with distress stain (various colours, it was another 'mop up' tag that I had in my stash) and I then stamped a sheet music heart onto it using a Forever In Time 'Hearts Medley' clear stamp.  The adorable cherub (see, that's what cupids are supposed to look like!) is from The Graphics Fairy and the forget-me-not heart behind him is courtesy of Far Far Hill.  I then stamped the 'Loveland' post mark (from a Tattered Angels 'Timeless Romance' stamp set) in the upper left corner and added the Vectoria Designs 'Admit One' ticket to the lower right.  I added the 'XOXO' to the ticket in my photo editing program.  Some irridescent heart confetti was then glued here and there and I then added a couple of 'jeweled' hearts, from a $1 store sticker sheet, for good measure.  You can never have too many hearts on Valentine's Day, can you?!

Thanks for stopping by today and hope that you all have a great weekend.  I'm going to try and make some more Valentine items to list on Etsy, hopefully they all won't turn out grumpy!  Have a creative day,

Deb

16 comments:

  1. Too funny! I guess we all have bad days now and then-- even cupids! Love the tags!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, love your Grumpy Cupid Deb - too cute!! As always your mixed media tags are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is sporting quite a pout! But in a fun, kinda cut way! Not scary though!
    Love those tags too - you put so much love into them, I can tell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the idea of a "pouty" Cupid. I wouldn't have actually thought she had a pout, just an " O" (surprised). Sweet tags Deb.
    I'm making Heart Shrines and Giveaway on my blog next post . Part of Blog Hop.I have always loved making hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grumpy or not, I like her. Besides I can relate to grumpy...lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your "grumpy" cupid is delightful! I Love her little lips! And your tags, well, they are outstanding! So glad you decided to play along with us at Opus Gluei, I love your combinations of fabric and paper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. why not paint a smile on her. sides, I don't think she looks that grumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh she is cute, lol,,that is a beautiful quote, I have never head that before, your tags are lovely,

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're invited to come play along with us! Word Art Wednesday has weekly Anything Goes Challenges with GREAT prizes every week. We hope you will join us here:
    www.wordartwednesdsay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like her and I think she has great character. You should market her as Grumpy. I think a lot of people people would love the take - and she could have a strapline like 'An Angel is for life, not just for Valentines'!x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your cupid (and the rest of the featured artwork!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie, she does have an attitude, doesn't she?!

      Delete
  12. Even Cupid is aloud to have a grumpy day, I guess! LOL! Cloudy here the past few days, makes it really hard to be motivated!
    Hope all is well with the pups! I posted Mac's graduation picture this morning-he is such a fun addition to our family!

    Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Deb, The book tag about the Journbey is really really good. You are so talented and creative. Bravo my friend.
    Arlette

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Deb, you have been so busy since my last visit to you. I must sign up to follow so I don't miss any of your posts. Grumpy Cupid is so cute and I love your vintage Cupid tag.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous ! I love all your creations !

    Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.

    Jo x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo