Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Digging Out

Hello everyone!  It's FINALLY stopped snowing here and we've managed to get ourselves dug out.  We had an epic winter storm here in B.C. over the last few days, snowfall records were broken from as far back as the turn of the century.  Everything was shut down for at least two days as the plow trucks just could not keep up with the snow as it fell.  Here's a picture out our front door after the first day and night of snow:


We have a steep metal roof covering the front steps (whoever designed that was an idiot!) and as the snow falls, it slides off of the roof and right down in front of the house.  Everywhere else there was about 14 - 16 inches of snow, which was bad enough, but in front of the door the drift had grown to about 3 feet by the time we were able to get outside and start shoveling.  I was about half way through shoveling this side of the drift when I took this picture.  Needless to say, my arms and back are a wee bit sore today!  We then had a bout of freezing rain on top of all the snow, so where we shoveled is now a skating rink and when you walk through the snowy areas, the top is shattering like glass with each step you take.  I think a few posts back I told you that I loved the snow?  I've changed my mind!!  Fortunately the snow has now stopped and the temperatures are quite mild so hopefully some of this will melt a bit before the next snow storm hits.

Since I was house bound for a few days, I decided to work on a mixed media piece for some new blog challenges.  Over at A Vintage Journey, their latest challenge was 'Ring Out The Old - Ring In The New', while at Mixed Media Mojo the theme was 'New' with the twist of adding the number '15', at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge blog the challenge was 'Something New' and at Country View Challenges, their January challenge was to 'Use Something New To You'.  So I incorporated all four challenges into my New Year mixed media plaque.


I had a lot of fun making this plaque and used a couple of items in it that were new to me; some Wendy Vecchi Crackled Texture Paste and Tim Holtz's 'Gothic' layering stencil.  I applied the texture paste through the stencil on one side of the plaque and tried to use some 'Old Paper' distress paint through the stencil on the other side but used to much paint and it bled like crazy.  So I quickly just smooshed the distress paint in streaks up and down the plaque to cover my boo-boo.  After the paint and texture paste were dry, I cover the whole plaque with 'Broken China' and 'Salty Ocean' distress stain.  It was looking much too blue for my liking so I dried it and added 'Vintage Photo' distress stain over top of everything and was much happier with the colour palette. I love the distressed, almost peeled paint look of the distress stain over top of the distress paint resist, Tim Holtz's distress products are so much fun to work with and so forgiving.  Even a mistake can end up looking great!

I then started to add my elements on to the plaque background.


The father time image is from Vintage Image Crafts and the clock brad is from Tim Holtz's 'Custom Fasteners' brad set.  The quarter to twelve clock image was perfect for this layout.  I then added some word snippets that I made on the computer using a font called 'Old Printing Press' and used the words from A Vintage Journey's current challenge prompt.  The film strip is an image from a Crafty Secrets 'Vintage Typography' CD and I aged it in PicMonkey with one of their background overlays.


The pocket watch image is from a collage sheet by Astrid Berends and I was going to use some metal clock hands on it but they were too long.  So I added some 'hands' with some glitter glue instead and mounted the pocket watch on pop dots for a little dimension.  The Admit One ticket was a blank ticket from Vectoria Designs that I added the 'Happy New Year 2015' wording to and it is also mounted on pop dots.  The '15' brad is one of Tim Holtz's 'Number Brads' that I clipped the prongs off of and adhered with a pop dot.


The bells were added as one of the prompts over at A Vintage Journey was a poem by Lord Alfred Tennyson that talked of ringing bells.  They are from a Crafty Secrets 'Vintage Christmas' CD.  Another clock was added (did I go overboard on the clocks I am now wondering?!) and this one is from The Graphics Fairy.  The typography 'in with the new' was added in front of a glass pebble that has a dictionary snippet of the word 'journey' glued underneath it, since every New Year is indeed the start of a new journey.


Don't you love that New Year's baby vintage post card?  I do believe I got this cutie at The Graphics Fairy too, it's very sweet.


Here's a closer look at the glass pebble, sorry about the reflection.  I found the technique on making these over at Alison Bomber's blog, Words and Pictures, I have to try and remember to use them more often.

And finally to display my plaque, I stained some Tim Holtz 'Crinkle Ribbon' with 'Broken China' and 'Vintage Photo' distress stain and strung it through some rivets I added to the top corners of the plaque.


I love this ribbon, I've tried to use seam binding that I've bought locally to use instead but it just isn't the same.  Tim's ribbon gets so yummy and crinkly :O)

Thanks for stopping by today as always and thanks to A Vintage Journey, Mixed Media Mojo, Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge blog and Country View Challenges for their prompts and challenges that inspired this plaque.


Hope your weather is much better than ours and that you are have had a wonderful first week in this, the New Year.  Happy creating my friends!

Deb

28 comments:

  1. WOW!! You did get some snow. That looks like my normal winter this time of year and I have nothing on the ground this year! You must have gotten it all. LOL! Well one good thing about being snowed in it gives you lots of time to "create". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yowza! That's a lot of snow to shovel! We haven't had anywhere near that but are in a deep freeze at the moment. Super plaque! Love all the techniques, especially the ribbon hanger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First-awesome job on this piece! 2nd-my favorite stencil is the TH gothic! And 3rd-how cold are you with all the snow! OMG! Thank goodness you are safe and warm. Thanks for playing with us at Mixed a Media Mojo! ~Niki DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, first thanks Niki! Second I love Tim's Gothic stencil, so glad I bought it and third fortunately it's not cold, just very snowy :O) Thanks for a fun challenge at Mixed Media Mojo. Deb

      Delete
  4. I can only imagine what being snowed in is like.So different here. Hope your arms and back have recovered.
    Your plaque is gorgeous.So many different elements Must look out for that TH Gothic.
    Been drooling over new CHA products sneak peaks at TH site.
    Aaa!!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're getting snow here now. I doubt that it will be a record breaking snow fall but it's still too much for me. You made good use of your time inside. That plaque is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow your plaque is beautiful! I have heard that they make roof tops steep so that the snow does not stay on the roof. Snow is very heavy and it could put stress on the roof and make it cave in. This is what my engineer hubby tells me when I asked him about the houses we saw in Norway that had very steep roofs. So maybe your builder did you a favour. But on the other hand I can understand the frustration when it all slips and falls on your driveway. Clearing it must be a nightmare. Take care of your back though while you clear up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shashi! And I know all about steep roof pitches for handling big snow loads, I was questioning the wisdom of whomever designed this house for putting the front door directly underneath one is all LOL!

      Delete
  7. Your plaque is so creative! I love all those vintage elements and your background is just gorgeous! I'm envious that you were snowed in! And obviously you had power to work in your studio. Here, if we even get a hint of snow, our power goes off for days, so it's definitely not creative time! Sorry, but I love LOOKING at all your snow! I work outdoors, and happy we have mild winters--although it is in the teens with the wind chill today. Thank you for visiting my blog--it really made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara! We didn't lose our power this time but we often have that problem here too. And I'm feeling sorry for everyone who works outside as you do around here, it must be so hard to wade through all that snow. Thanks for visiting me too, I appreciate it very much! Deb

      Delete
  8. Canada, don't you love it! Our weather is so unpredictable. Here is Southern Ontario it is -12 today and dropping. It is soooo cold but we have just a sprinkling of snow. I don't know what is worse , snow and not so cold or this deep freeze.

    I love you piece Deb, at least the snow had some advantages you got to stay in and work on some amazing art.

    Keep warm
    hugs
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow glad Michigan did not get that much near us but is COLD!!!!! Glad I am not there right now.
    Stay warm!
    Earlene

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have dug out...got our power back, it only went out for a few hours at a time...but there are some who had much longer. Snow...I still love it, but maybe they could keep it on the mountains a bit more? Went to the almost big city yesterday...it's finally opened after a two day close down....no parking, no sidestreets, no sidewalks...snort. And we are supposed to know how to deal with this stuff. LOL.

    Now I need to supervise more branch pickup...and icicle bashing. Don't overdo the shovelling...have you seen that new handle for the snow shovels sold at Home Hardware? It makes it easier to pick up the snow without bending so far forward? It's great, I got my husband one for Christmas...works wonderfully, and saves his back. I highly recommend it!

    As always I love your artwork, and am always amazed at how much you create.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the visit Deb. We are so lucky here in the UK, we had snow on Boxing Day which stayed unusually, for about a week but was only about 3ins deep and then it just went and we have had nothing since. The only problem is that we have to go abroad if we want to ski. We can do it in Scotland but it's unpredictable. Still you have made good use of your time. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Angela. We have lots of ski hills here in B.C. and they are now having a wonderful season after all this snow! Hope you can get away to hit the slopes in the UK!

      Delete
  12. What a fabulous new year creation Deb. I love all the elements you have used bringing together the old and the new and the great techniques. As for your snowfall - wow - it sure came down in bucket-loads where you live, I hope you are able to get out and about again now, but if not then I am sure you will be crafting lol.
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful hanging with us at A Vintage Journey.
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brenda! We are now dug out and have made trails around the yard so we can get from A to B LOL! Thanks for a fun challenge at AVJ.

      Delete
  13. What a great mixed media plaque, Deb. I love those vintage images you've used, and the glass pebble looks so cool (thanks for the shout out!)... gorgeous dyed ribbons to hang it up by too. Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.

    Just look at all that snow... have to admit I'm a bit envious, though I know it makes life hard!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely New Years hanging Deb - I keep seeing new little bits when I look back at your photos - fun ephemera and great vintage New Year images! thanks for joining us in the AVJ challenge! and I hope you've shoveled out of the snow by now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a colourful collage of vintage loveliness and I adore that stencilled crackle paste. Thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a wonderful collage and mix of vintage and childhood delights and your crinkled ribbon suits it perfectly. Thanks for joining in the challenge at AVJ and good luck.
    Hope your weather has now mproved, we have had hurricane force winds in Scotland and snow is now also forecast. Thanks for stopping by my blog, Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful creation! Love all of the images and embellies you used!!

    Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    hugs...
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a beautiful project - love all the layers
    thanks for playing along on Mixed Media Mojo
    Barb Housner (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy New Year Deb! I'm slow to comment in this new year but have reading along ~ your projects are as lovely as ever. You really got snowed in. We've been lucky to get a few inches at a time, easy to manage. I don't mind that as much as I mind the below zero (F) temps overnight and the single-digit windchills during the day. I'm ready to start counting the days until spring:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your New Year project! Such wonderful vintage images and great sentiments. Beautiful ribbon and color! So happy you made such creative use of all the snow bound time! Thanks so much for playing with us a Mixed Media Mojo! ~kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kim and thanks for a fun challenge at Mixed Media Mojo!

      Delete
  21. What a fabulous plaque! I love all the wonderful elements you used! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Mixed Media Mojo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Maria and thank you for a fun challenge at Mixed Media Mojo!

      Delete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo