Sunday, January 25, 2015

Enjoy The Journey Tag

Hidey-ho neighbour, hope you have had a fun and creative weekend.  I've been working on an altered hang tag to submit to Unruly Paper Arts' current readers art quest, 'Global Traveler', and finished it today.  Come on in and take a peek!

The prompt this month at Unruly Paper Arts was:

Our theme this month is Global Traveler inspired by the New Year which often sees us making plans to travel and see the world.  As always it's open to your interpretation and we have provided some further inspiration for you by way of a photo and color combination.

 

 

I decided to make a tag for the challenge (I know, I make way too many tags!) but they are such a versatile format and easy to store and mail as gifts.

 


This time I used a larger #8 sized kraft coloured tag and started out by embossing it with the 'Postal' Texture Fades embossing folder.  I lightly covered the embossed lettering with 'Old Paint' distress paint and then coloured the tag with distress stains in 'Salty Ocean', 'Iced Spruce', 'Peeled Paint' and 'Vintage Photo'.  I did a little spritz and flick and then wiped back the embossed areas with a baby wipe to remove the distress stain from the lettering.  A global map was stamped onto the top of the card with jet black Archival Ink and then embossed with clear embossing powder, using a clear stamp from the Forever in Time 'Timepieces' stamp set.


The 'Enjoy The Journey' sentiment and the old truck image are from Tim Holtz's 'The Journey' clear stamps set.  The truck on the tag is not as pale or as bright as it appears in the photo in real life.  I had covered the distress stain stamped image with clear embossing powder, and it was difficult to photograph due to the shine.  The truck is much darker 'in person' and not really shiny at all.

I made the film strip using the Sizzlits 'Mini Filmstrip and Mini Tickets' decorative strip die and some white tissue paper and Idea-ology Elements Remnant Rubs.  I love the look of the Tim Holtz Idea-ology 'Film Strip Ribbon' but don't have any so decided to make a reasonable facsimile of my own.


It was pretty easy to make, I cut out the film strip die from kraft coloured cardstock, backed it with some white tissue paper and then GENTLY rubbed on the remnant rubs.  That was the hardest part of the whole operation LOL!  I then trimmed off the excess tissue paper from around the film strip and cleaned up the edges with an emery board.  I'm sure someone, somewhere has already done something similar but I love being able to add the 'pictures' to the film strip.  The possibilities could be endless with this technique, you could print or stamp any images that you'd like onto the tissue paper and frame them with the filmstrip.  Love how the tissue paper is slightly translucent so you get some of the coloration from the background of the tag through it.  Think you'll be seeing more of this technique in the future from me.


I then stamped out the 'Always take the scenic route' sentiment from the Stampers Anonymous Classics #16 stamp set with distress embossing ink and sprinkled it with sterling pine embossing powder.  It was fussy cut and then edged with walnut stain distress ink.  The Eiffel tower die cut was one that the generous folks at the Funkie Junkie Boutique sent to me with my last order, so I coloured it with Iced Spruce and Walnut Stain distress ink and then gave it a spritz of Biscotti Perfect Pearls spray.


The compass hang tag is from Vectoria Designs (it is in their Travelers Paper Pack) and the subway ticket is from a Crafty Secrets Typograph CD.  I attached them both to the tag using a Tim Holtz Idea-ology Custom Fastener and then added a little secret message to the underside of the tag with a remnant rub :O)


I distressed the edges of the entire tag with walnut stain distress ink and added a piece of distress stain dyed crinkle ribbon and called it done.


Thanks for stopping by today and thanks to Unruly Paper Arts for a fun reader's art quest.  Have a great week everyone and happy creating!

Deb

14 comments:

  1. What a pretty tag that is. It always fascinates me how much work can go into these things. I really like the film strip and the colors of this are just perfect

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice!! I see more of that crinkle ribbon-- cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this one....the colors are so pretty. And I'm going to look at your link for the crinkle ribbon! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous tag, love all the textures and colours and the globes at the top of your tag.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deb, you are just so talented and make the neatest things.
    I love your project.
    hugs,
    Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous tag Deb! LOVE the colors on this tag!
    So much talent!
    Keep on creating!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb.... I love love love your tag.... Perfect colors for this months RAQ at Unruly... the embossed tag is wonderful and I love your inked seam binding.... Beautiful job !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the old truck on there. Got a soft spot for those ol' girls.
    Love the rain quote in your last post. Thanks for sharing it.

    Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect tag with RAQ Global traveler theme. You have done great composition and lovely color combo. Thanks so much for joining us at Unruly PaperArts RAQ this month

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Shilpa and thanks for a fun challenge at Unruly this month!

      Delete
  10. Your tag is just lovely Deb, I love your use of color and the film strip elements. Thanks so much for joining us at Unruly PaperArts this past month for our Reader Art Quest Challenge! Danie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danie and thanks for a great RAQ at Unruly Paper Arts last month, I really enjoyed participating!

      Delete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo