Wednesday, January 14, 2015

First Christmas Card Of 2015

Say what?!  A Christmas card?!  Yes, you heard correctly, I am going to try to join the gals at Jingle Belles blog this year and create one Christmas card each week so that I am somewhat, maybe, kind of prepared come December.


The Jingle Belles prompt this week was 'No Time Like The Presents' and here's what they said:

'Before you put away your wrapping supplies, pull out some of your favorites and make a card featuring wrapping paper or gift tags.'

Coincidentally, Our Creative Corner had issued a challenge to use up our 'Christmas Leftovers' to create a project and here's what they said about their challenge:

'With the holidays merely a shadow behind us, my guess is you still have bits of Christmas leftovers stashed everywhere, not to mention bags of Christmas bits meant for the recycle bin .... Let's put those bits to good use this month .... and recycle your Christmas scraps.'

So I decided to combine these two challenges and dug through my left over wrapping paper, gift bags, tissue and ribbon and scoured the recyling bin and ended up making this card.


The central angel image was from a torn and well used gift bag that was in the recycle bin, so I cut her out, along with the 'Joy to the World' sentiment that was also on the bag and mounted them both onto some white cardstock for strength.  The gold snowflake tissue paper in the background was also a Christmas remnant, as was the red gold-edged ribbon, so I decided to incorporate those as well.  The tissue paper was crinkled and then modge podged onto a kraft coloured card (all I had left after Christmas!) and when it was dry, I added the red ribbon with more modge podge.  I coloured a scrap of white lace with some gold rub and glued it to the top of the card and then cut out a piece of left over textured cardstock, with decorative edge scissors, to back the 'Joy to the World' sentiment.  The white snowflake on the left was one I had die cut for Christmas and not used and the white snowflake embellishment on the right was still in my stash of Christmas craft supplies so I added it as well.

So there we go, I now have one card made in preparation for next Christmas.  Only another 50 or so to go LOL!  I realize now that I am going to have to make some kind of box or accordion file to keep all of these cards in one place or I will most assuredly forget where I have put them by the end of the year.  Think I remember seeing a You-Tube video on how to make a card keeper, will have to go take a look at my saved videos and see if I can find it.   If you have a link to a good tutorial, let me know in your comment so I can check it out.

Thanks to Jingle Belles and Our Creative Corner for their prompts that inspired this card.  Off to finish up my fan blade for our Mixed Media Studio fan blade swap, I'll be back soon with more pictures (she says hopefully!)  Have a lovely hump day everyone!

Deb

15 comments:

  1. I'll be making Christmas cards over the next few weeks too. Love what you've done with this card.Our local Newsagent has a "specials" bin that often has card-making packets.I found some lovely Christmas ones recently just itching to be used!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the punch of red! Beautiful angel too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, you are ambitious! One Christmas card every week!! Good luck!! That probably is better than making a bunch all at once in October. Love yours!! So good of you to save that lovely angel from being recycled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that sounds like a great idea. I like the way you did that card and I was wondering how you got the background all crinkly looking. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some very pretty leftovers ... love the tissue paper background ... so glad you started 2015 with us at Jingle Belles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow! definitely off to a great start in 2015 with a gorgeous card full of rescued treasures; especially LOOOOOOOVE that fabulous textured tissue background!!! a brilliant take on our JINGLE BELLES challenge, so excited to have the prospect of more of your lovely work to inspire us this year!! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my.....already working on Christmas!! One card every week! You better get busy then. Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fantastic Deb!! I am loving how many fabulous Christmas Leftover bits you were able to use, and the card is stunning to boot!! Love your tissue paper background and your gift bag angel!! The strip of red ribbon really pops and adds some festive fun to an elegant piece!

    Thank you so much for joining us at Our Creative Corner for our 'Christmas Leftovers' challenge, your card really captured the spirit of our challenge theme! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing like getting ahead of the game is there. And you are doing it beautifully! Now last nights snow should make the Christmas spirit fill your heart, and your head. How much did you get? Ah...the snow is up to the window sills here....LOL.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! This is wonderful Deb and good for you for getting a head start. Smart you are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty card Deb, and such a good idea. I swore last year would be different - I would be ready for Christmas and it would be wonderful... it was wonderful, in a different way, but I wasn't ready at all... so disappointing. This year I am determined for it to be different, so I am going to do something each month that will help bring it all together a little bit easier this year - I haven't finalized my plan yet, but I'm working on it!
    This card idea might be a good place to start...

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo