Wednesday, January 28, 2015

January 12 Tags Of 2015

Hello!  Hope that all of you in the East have either managed to dig yourselves out or, if you are in the Maritimes, that you are hunkered down safe and warm inside your home.  The predicted Nor'Easter didn't perhaps live up to all of it's hype but many of you got more than your fair share of snow.  Hope you all made it through safe and sound and had plenty of creative time as you watched the snow fall.

I am embarking upon a new project this year; those of you who know and love Tim Holtz will be familiar with the '12 Tags' series that he has been doing for several years now.  I have always looked at and admired his tags, and have occasionally tried a technique or two, but I've never committed to making a years worth of Tim tags.  Well, this year is the year I am going to throw caution (and fear!) to the wind and dive in and try my hand at all of Tim's tags.  In the end, they may not look too pretty or look anything like Tim's tags but I am going to embrace the imperfections (as Tim always encourages everyone to do) and give them a try.  It's only through our mistakes that we learn so here we go!

Tim's first tag of 2015 is all about numbers and the New Year, here is what Tim said:


Here is the beautiful tag that Tim made for January:


And here is my interpretation of Tim's tag:


As will often be the case throughout the year, I didn't have all the supplies that Tim used, so I had to improvise as I went.  I stamped some white tissue paper with some letter and number background stamps and adhered it to the tag and then covered everything with acrylic paint in colours of blue green and taupe.  A spray of Gathered Twigs distress stain came next and then I went to work on the numbers and words.


I used the Sizzlits Tim Holtz Idea-ology 'Boardwalk' decorative strip die to cut out the letters for the word 'TWENTY' and also for the numeral '15' that is on the bottom of the tag as pictured above.  The dies were then covered with copper glitter glue for the word twenty and with gold paint and Clear Rock Candy distress glitter for the number 15.  The large number 15 in the center of the tag was then added, using the Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz Collection 'Worn Text' stamp set, with distress Clear Embossing Ink and copper embossing powder.  While the embossing powder was still warm, I gently distressed it with a sanding block to knock back the shininess a bit.  I didn't have any chit chat stickers, so I typed out some random words and cut them out to use instead.


Tim had used an arrow adornment on his tag and to evoke the same feeling, I decided to use some clock hands I had in my stash and I attached them with a small Tim Holtz Idea-ology custom fastener.  I left the hands moveable so that they could be positioned to point at any of the inspirational words or numbers that struck your fancy on that particular day!


I did have a mirrored star (yay!) like Tim used on his tag but didn't have any of the index labels, so I used a Funky Junk label by Cathe Holden under the star instead.  Tim had used a Distress Marker in black soot to outline his chit chat stickers but as I don't have that colour, I used a Recollectons Blender Pen dipped in my black soot distress ink and it worked wonderfully!  I'd never used the blender pen before but now I will be using it all the time as it can turn any of my distress ink minis into temporary distress ink pens, love it!  Finally, I spattered the tag with white acrylic paint and tried to spatter it with some gold metallic paint.  The gold metallic was coming out in big blobs (yikes!!) so I ditched it and did a couple of sprays with some Antiqued Bronze distress spray instead.  I definitely overdid it with the splatters and sprays but live and learn, right?!  The Antiqued Bronze distress spray also got spritzed on a piece of crinkle ribbon to finish off the tag.


So there it is, my first tag of the year inspired by the amazing Tim Holtz.  Thanks to Tim for a wonderful inspirational challenge and I can't wait to see what February's tag will be all about.  Thanks so much for stopping by, have a creative day everyone!

Deb

10 comments:

  1. well I think you did really well with that tag.

    We only got about 8 inches here. of course we had the snow before it turned into a monster on the coast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We missed most of the snow. I think we got a little over 2 inches. Yay! I'm not a big fan of snow. Your mixed media tag looks lovely. I've always looked at mixed media artist and love their creativity. I think I will still sit on the sidelines with this craft as I fear the hubby will have me committed if I take on another new medium.

    D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sensational! Like the clock hand! I like the way you shot it too on the wood. Tim's tags are very inspiring, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent :) I like the clock hands much better as they symbolizes the idea of a new year and time passing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your version of the tag.
    We are getting a combination of rain and snow today. It's going to be a mess out there

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your tag, I sure admire your creativity!! Love your creations!
    Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deb, I love your tag and I hope you manage to keep it up that really does sound like you are determined to make one every month. I keep coming back to them but my science tests Lol! keep getting in the way (I know you understand!) Thanks for visiting me, you say the nicest things, loved it. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I do understand what you mean Angela, your amazing experimentation with new products and mediums keeps you very busy I am sure! Thanks for your kind comments, they are much appreciated.

      Delete
  8. Well, the same or not, you've done a great job. I will look forward to seeing the next 11 tags. Besides Deb, who wants to be a replica, you are so good with your own creative thoughts and that makes you unique.... Romona

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your take on Tim's tag Deb, the background is my favourite part on Tim's and yours shows the background up so beautifully and the clock hands are a lovely touch! Thanks so much for your visit and comment too. Anne x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo