Friday, January 30, 2015

Of Bonnie Scotland And Robbie Burns

Hello and thanks for stopping by.  I'm sharing a postcard today that I made for the SPA (Sunday Postcard Art) 'Robert Burns Night/Scotland' challenge.

Earlier this week, on January 25th, all good Scots, no matter where they were around the world, partook in Robbie Burns Day and celebrated as the haggis was piped in and Robert Burns' poem 'Address To A Haggis' was recited.  While I do enjoy a good haggis (it tastes pretty darn good amazingly enough) I wasn't up to making a postcard featuring one as they are not the prettiest things to look at!  So I chose a fragment of the poem 'Tam o'Shanter' by Robert Burns to feature in my postcard and here it is.


The background of the postcard is the official Robert Burns tartan pattern and I also included a picture of the great man himself as well as a painting of the house where he was born in Alloway, Ayrshire, Scotland.  The thistle is the national flower of Scotland and the poppy image was added for the first line of the poem's stanza '...pleasures are like poppies spread, You seize the flower, its bloom is shed...'  The signature fragment on the bottom is Robert Burns' signature from a letter that he wrote to a fellow poet in 1786.


I love the beautiful imagery evoked by these lines, don't you?

So drink a wee dram of whiskey in honour of Rabbie Burns and if you aren't familiar with his work, head on over to the official Robert Burns site and read a poem or two, you'll be glad you did.

Thanks to SPA for a fun challenge this week and I'll be back in a few days with a few more finishes that I have in the works.  Have a great weekend everyone and happy creating!

Deb

9 comments:

  1. This is fantastic!!! Great collage of elements. And the words/poem you chose to use are profound and true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous collage. thanks for playing along xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea what haggis was so I had to follow your link. You're right, not too pretty to look at....lol Your postcard however is a different story. I like the use of the poem and the piece from a letter he wrote with his signature. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you didn't use a collage of haggis on your postcard ;-)
    Seriously, you did a great job. Using his tartan, the thistle, the poppy and adding the poem ... just brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, a haggis is not a pretty thing to look at so adding it to the collage was not an option LOL! Thanks for you kind words Arlette :O)

      Delete
  5. Fab job! Perfect background, perfect font. Great elements!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo