Wednesday, January 21, 2015

While Waiting For The Glue To Dry

Afternoon everyone, I've been working away on the fan blade for our friendship fan blade swap at the Mixed Media Studio today and it's coming together nicely.  But it's been slow going as I have to wait for the glue to dry as I add elements ... and I'm not good at waiting!  I tend to fuss and touch and lift to see if the glue has set up and more often than not I muck it up entirely.  So to prevent myself from wrecking everything, I worked on a couple of other projects that didn't need as much drying time.

These little heart ornaments came together quite quickly, I'd had them sewn up and stuffed for a couple of days but was stuck as to where to go from there.  I was contemplating adding a ribbon hanger but as I'd already been there and done that, I decided to add the twisted wire hangers instead.


I hand lettered the 'Be Mine' sentiment onto the muslin heart and sewed a little rusty jingle bell on with some rust coloured floss and then aged a heart charm and a key charm with some rust alcohol ink and attached them to the other two ornaments.  Simple but fitting for the season I think, I just listed them in my Etsy shop, you can find them here.

And then I also made another Christmas card to link up with Jingle Belles 'Bring In The New!' card challenge.  Here was what the Belles asked us to do this week:

Bring in the New!


New supplies that is, because we know that all of our fellow Belles were verrrrrrrrrry good last year and thus were showered with lovely goodies for Christmas or Hanukkah! Or possibly, like us, you've helped out Santa by doing a little shopping in the post-holiday sales? Failing that, you could dig down deep into your stash and find something you've had for a bit, but not yet used!

I, ahem, happen to have done more than a little post-holiday shopping (who could resist all of those wonderful sales!) and so had quite a few new supplies to bring to the party :O)  Here is the card I created:


The kraft coloured star scrapbook paper in the background is from a Craft Smith 'Homemade Holiday' paper pad that I picked up at Michaels for 85% off - score!  I then used my brand new Stampers Anonymous 'Christmas Blueprints' stamp set to stamp the jingle bell blueprint onto some specialty stamping paper with black archival ink.  I embossed the image quickly with some clear fine line embossing powder and then lightly coloured the jingle bell here and there with festive berries and mustard seed distress inks using my Tim Holtz water brush.  Next I used my new Thinlits 'Holiday Words:Block' dies to cut the 'Jingle On' sentiment from some olive green card stock (I am in LOVE with this die set!!) and then added the bow using some of Tim's red and white stripe paper string (and no, that wasn't new ;O).  Love how it turned out, that's Christmas card number two ready to go in December!

And finally, after finishing up those two projects, the fan blade was dry enough for me to snap a picture for you.


I still have to embellish the back but wanted to show it to you as I've been promising pictures for days!  The yummy black and white damask paper is from Far Far Hill and the heart cameo is one I have had in my stash for ages.  I added some black 'gems' along the top edge, some faux pearls, some textured shiny ribbon and then some silver stickles along the edges.  Very elegant I think and I love how it turned out.  This will be our last fan blade for this swap, we will all have five fan blades after this month, so I will put mine together and show you the finished fan as soon as I receive my January blade.

So now that all the glue has dried, it's on to more projects.  We are doing a 'Spirit Doll' swap at the Mixed Media Studio which is due in February so I have to get researching and find out how to make one.  They are very organic and spiritual, I am looking forward to the process as I make my Spirit Doll.  And then I have more mixed media blog challenges to work on as well as more items for my Etsy shop; lots to do, no wonder the month of January has flown by!  Hope you are having a creative week, I'll be back soon with more finishes.  Talk soon,

Deb

14 comments:

  1. love all your hearts in this post and the previous one.

    they are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who wouldn't love one of those heart pillows? They are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to see busy people at work. Everything looks amazing Deb. And with the glue being dry, added bonus. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many lovely things! (That damask paper is very striking).

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh so many lovely lovely things to see, you do such beautiful work,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad I'm not the only impatient one. I do the same thing when I'm waiting for glue to dry...lol Everything looks great, I like those hearts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, getting a lot of cute things accomplished waiting for the glue....or paint to dry!
    LOVE your jingle card!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am lovin' that big bold jingle bell ... so glad you brought in the new with us at jingle belles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Deb - I love your beautiful projects especially the hearts. So sweet! Thank you for your continued support and encouragement. Have a wonderful weekend! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nancy and healing energy still flowing to you my friend, Deb

      Delete
  10. holy WOW you have been busy, and in such a magnificent variety of ways! love, love, love all three projects but of course you know i have to say that AWESOME CARD is my favorite, right?! what a great use of your amazing sale finds! thanks for rockin' the new goodies with us at JINGLE BELLES! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo