Wednesday, February 18, 2015

A Little Blooming Canvas

Happy hump day!  Hope your week is going swimmingly :O)  I've finished up another item for our Old Farmhouse Gathering team's upcoming Spring celebration on Etsy and since it happens to have some posies on it, I am going to link it up with Frilly and Funkie's latest challenge, 'Winter Blooms' as well.


I started by basing a small stretched artist's canvas with distress paint, masking off the floral motifs with a Tim Holtz mini mask and then covering it all with Wendy Vecchi's crackle texture paste.


I actually made three panels (I was thinking triptych) but didn't like the way the other two came out, so I trashed them and then hemmed and hawed about what to do with this one lonely little 3" canvas.  It definitely needed more 'presence' so I decided to mount it onto a 4" flat artist's canvas and add more embellishments.


I die cut little tattered floral flowers from several different scrapbook papers, wet them down and 'scrunched' them for a little more interest and added a wee seed bead into the center of each one.  The pale pink paper flower is one I had in my stash, think I got those at Michaels.  I colored a Tim Holtz Idea-ology hinge clip with distress paint and added it to the top of the 4" panel to act as a hanger.


Crinkle ribbon colored with distress stain came next and I tied it into a bow and added a Tim Holtz Idea-ology wire pin to hold some charms.  Don't you love that little birds nest?!


The script fragment charms are ones I found in the clearance section at Michaels, love them too, and I added a few more of the scrapbook paper flowers down this side of the canvas as well underneath the charms.


Hope you have enjoyed this little glimpse of Spring and thanks to Frilly and Funkie for their prompt which inspired it.  I will be listing this mixed media canvas in my Etsy shop at the start of our OFG celebration on February 23rd and have one more item yet to make for the celebration.  I am thinking about some Spring chickens so make sure you come on back for a 'peck' :O)  Happy creating everyone,

Deb

17 comments:

  1. This is great. Love the crackle look. That little birds nest is cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice!! Yes, that bird nest charm is great-- so are those script elements. Really adds. No signs of spring around here so I'll take yours for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Deb! That wee birds nest is the cutest thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Deb, this is just breathtaking!! Such amazing textures and your spring colour palette is absolutely dreamy!! Love that little nest with the eggs! Such a wonderful project, really making me yearn for spring! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally forgot to say Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'Winter Blooms' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

      Delete
  5. It's a shame to think that two didn't make the cut, but I'm happy to see the one that did. This design is fantastic. Reminds me of how you actually see bird's nests in the trees in a sheltered area. Love the script fragment charms and that clip for hanging is wonderful. A shabby, rustic, nature, blooming beautiful canvas. :)
    Thank you so much also for the very kind comment on my blog.
    hugs,
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful Deb. It has the look of an old ceramic tile to me. Great techniques and I love your little nest.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deb,

    I love all the embellishments you added to this! That little nest is perfect.
    Beautiful!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh it's cutie pie, LOL. I totally love that green ribbon...the mossy tones are so pretty.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Deb! This is very very springy - just what everyone needs right now! Love the little bird's nest! I recently purchased a Sizzix, learned who Tim Holtz is and thought about you! Stay warm and Keep on Creating! ~*~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good work as always Deb. I especially love the little birds nest.... sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that's really pretty - loving the crackle (of course!) and the ribbon and charm are perfect.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful canvas Deb, love the masked area from the crackle. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  13. My goodness Deb, it's not easy to get that accuracy in stencilling when using crackle paste and you've done a fantastic job here. The floral bouquet across the top really does make a beautiful finish to your canvas too. Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo