Monday, February 9, 2015

A Little Holiday Mash Up

Hello everyone, hope you all had a great weekend.  It was so warm here, our snow is melting away and I can actually see bare ground (aka mud!) as I look out of the window.  Raining like crazy today so even more of the snow will be gone by tomorrow I am sure.

I've been working away on several projects over the last few days and have a bit of a holiday mash up to show you today.  First of all, here is a Christmas card that I made for the current Jingle Belles card challenge; we were to 'Shape-up for the New Year' or in other words, make a shaped card.


I was struggling with this one until I saw Lauren (all the GOOD blog names were taken) say that she uses clip art or digital images as a template for her shaped cards.  Brilliant idea!  So I found this wreath digital image from Allison Kimball, resized it and fussy cut it out a couple of times and then mounted it onto a round card that I cut from cardstock.  The banner is also from Alison Kimball and the 25 button was found on a Crafty Secrets Vintage Christmas CD.  Some vintage Christmas sheet music in behind, some glitter glue berries, a little spritz of Biscotti Perfect Pearls mist and there you go, Christmas card number three to add to my stash for next year!

Then I went to work on another Valentine make for a challenge over at Frilly and Funkie.  The current challenge is 'Be My Valen-Twine' and we were to include some sort of twine, jute, cord or string on our project.  I hemmed and hawed over this one too but finally decided to make a little Valentwine heart ornament.


I used some paper twist cord to make the heart and also used it to make the hanger for the ornament.  I started out with a 4" x 4" flat artists canvas and coated it with gesso and then stenciled some flowers onto it using Wendy Vecchi's crackle texture paste.  A few fragments of torn cardboard were then glued into place and given a light coat of the gesso as well.  Once dry, I coloured the plaque with distress stain, ink and watercolour crayons and added a wee bit of red glitter glue onto the fragments of corrugated cardboard.  Stamping with Elaine Vargo stamps came next around the edges and then I did a little spritz and flick with water and spattered the plaque with white acrylic paint.


I then added the paper twist heart and stamped the 'XO' in the center with Archival ink and glued on my embellishments: a fabric rose inside a metal charm;


a layered paper butterfly coloured with distress ink;


and a wee flower that I also coloured with distress ink.  The butterfly and the flower are scrapbook stickers that I got at the $1 store.  I am in love with Wendy Vecchi's crackle paste, look at that lovely fine crackle on the stenciled flowers!

And my final project (hang in there, I'm almost done!) was inspired by Astrid of Astrid's Artistic Efforts.  She had made a beautiful mini album to house all of her Tim tags that she will be making this year for the 12 tags of 2015 (click here to see Astrid's lovely album).  Since I have committed to making all of Tim's tags as well, I thought this was a brilliant idea and decided to make one of my own.  It's still in it's 'unadorned' stage but thought you might like to take a peek.


I followed Astrid's instructions but think I must have folded the pages wrong because I ended up with two pockets per page instead of the three that Astrid has.  No problem though, I just made two  more pocket pages for my album so I have six pages in mine instead. 


I've only completed the January tag so far (note to self - get cracking on the February tag!) and here it is tucked into it's pocket.  Since I have six pages in mine, I decided to add a binding system to my album that I found on YouTube, in this video series by Judy Goodson.  It will be good and strong to support the weight of the pages as the album will be well stuffed by the time the twelfth tag is added I am sure!  I will decorate each page according to the the themes of Tim's monthly tags and plan to cover the front and back album covers with some of Tim's scrapbooking paper and Idea-ology embellishments.  Not sure how I am going to close it quite yet, but I am thinking of either a belly band or an elastic closure so I will have lots of play as it 'gets stuffed' :O)

So that is it for now, thanks as always for stopping by.  I will be back later this week as I have a couple of other challenges that I'm working on and then there is that February Tim tag that I have to do too!  Have a great week everyone and happy creating!

Deb

18 comments:

  1. Great projects! Love the "twisty" heart-- really well done. Lauren's blog is a good place for inspiration! And the tag album is a great idea. I'm putting mine in a Smash book, but being able to take them out is nicer. We've had some melting here too, but it freezes up overnight. I could ice skate down my driveway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb,

    Seems like you are really enjoying altered and mixed media art. Your projects are so nice to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done it again, my busy friend! Love the paper heart - it looks like quilling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. More great work, Deb! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, your Valen-twine heart is sensational, Deb! What a clever idea and I love the pink. Terrific depth and texture to this lovely piece. Thanks for sharing it with us this time around at Frilly and Funkie!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow, wow, WOW! ok, all of these are fabulous, as always, but of course you know i'm going to say that holiday wreath is my total FAVORITE!!! so honored to have had any part at all in inspiring your creative process but really it's all *YOU* b/c the key here is the way you've combined a few different images with just the right papers, cut everything with such perfection and then added details like glitter and mist to really make it shine! love, love, LOVE this, miss deb! so pleased you could "shape up for the holidays" with us at JINGLE BELLES! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love coming to your blog and seeing all the fabulous stuff that you create. You are always so busy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Projects. Your Valentine ornament is wonderful with the twisted heart. Love the crackled dimension and the bits of corrugated cardboard. Thabks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome projects. That is a great idea to use clip art for the shaped cards. I seriously love your Valentine project. The twine heart is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. While they are all beautiful, it's the string heart that calls to me. Love, love it! Beautiful.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your twine heart and crackles. Beautiful Valentine design.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness, you've been busy! I love the wreath card but your Valentine project is quite something, too... so much detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Barbara, it keeps me out of trouble to keep busy ;O) Thanks for your kind comment and for visiting.

      Delete
  13. What a perfect digital image for shaping-up with us at jingle belles ... love the glittery adornments.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Boy have you been busy! Love the way your Valentines ornament has come together and love that twine heart! Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so talented, Deb, you have been busy and it's eye candy for me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that twine heart! congratulations on your win over at Frilly and Funkie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara and yay, more shopping at Funkie Junkie Boutique! You can never have too many supplies, right?! ;O)

      Delete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo